Thread: Scripting email

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scripting email

I want to automate a process. Most of my spam ends up in the spam bin on my email.
    I want to automate the process of forwarding it to US-Cert.
    I have the documented steps to forwarding it semi automatically already.
    I would like to make a script do it for me.
    I am thinking SHELL SCRIPT could do it very nicely.
    TWO problems:
    I don't know what commands to use to access the various buttons like expanded headers. I know there is a command for it but don't know how to find out the command.
    The second problem is which type of Script or programming language would be most appropriate to do this?
    I have win vista prem home and I am using ATT/yahoo mail: the new one on IE 9.
    I would like to sidestep starting and discovering that it won't work and I have to switch horses to another process.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I would use AutoIt or similar to do the work. It can interact with the GUI for you.

Personally I wouldn't bother reporting spam. As soon as that sender / PC is stopped another takes it's place.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

philomel (2013-07-18)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I second that. AutoIt is always a right answer. Another one might be something that is purpose-built for automating web browsers -- for example, iMacros.
    http://www.iopus.com/imacros/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...s-for-firefox/
    Either way, you're looking at a huge effort in a dubious cause.

Opinion: This is one of those jobs that is easy with a full-featured email client but difficult with a Mickey Mouse webmail service. (Years ago, back when I used to receive spam, I had a script that reported selected messages. It was a few lines of the client's native scripting language.) Yahoo Mail webmail won't forward as attachment, which is probably what you really need. Nor will it show message source. The closest it will come, I think, is to display full headers. Sheesh.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to iTobaman For This Useful Post:

philomel (2013-07-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have read a tutorial on autoit [http://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Tut...Core_Language]. I've never heard of it before, it is very much basic-like. I understand that you think it is an exercise in futility but for me it is the perfect learning exercise to learn to manipulate something which won't damage/kill/maime/injure or wound anyone while I play....around.
    How would I address the inside of the EMAIL to select the parts and manipulate them?
    forward. >> paste the full hedder into the body of the message. >> insert a string into the subject. >> insert a string into the TO: box. >>send.

Lounger
    Thanks
    A simple approach (though not ideal) is to mimic a user. If you want to, go thorough the following steps manually and see whether automating them would suit you.

select a message in the index and leave the mouse pointer there
    right-click
    down arrow 12 times
    Enter
    Ctrl+A
    Ctrl+C
    Esc
    F
    type an address
    Tab
    do something with the subject
    Tab
    Ctrl+V

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iTobaman For This Useful Post:

philomel (2013-07-18)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been looking at autohotkey and found it will interface with autoit and I found a KB Shortcut file for email. I think i may be able to do what i want to do or not but I will learn something in the process which is the objective.