Star Lounger
    Thanks

'Out-of-date browser' message on websites

I have an HP Vista laptop machine (crap actually) on which I use Internet Explorer 9 (I understand 10 will not run on Vista) and occasionally there is a message across the top of the screen with various web-sites (not always the same, and random with it) telling me that I am using an out-of-date browser, and to update it to improve my 'experience'.
    Why am I getting this? I understand from other articles that IE 10 is not yet recommended to download! Al appropriate updates have been installed.
    Comments welcomed, even if of the order of 'change the computer!'.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    when that happened to me it was always a google site, they want you using Chrome.
    i use gmail and if i don't use chrome i get that message everytime

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Probably means that IE 9 does not support certain features that define a modern browser, although it's your only option regarding IE. As far as I know FF and Chrome run on every Windows OS version, so one of those would be an option.

IE tipically lagged behind other browsers regarding support for web standards. It still does, although the latest versions have recovered some of the lost ground. So outdated here probably means support for recent web standards and technologies and not whether it is the most recent browser Microsoft offers you.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Poltor (2013-07-25)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears to me that website x sometimes indicates that you are using an out-of-date browser but there are times website x doesn't. Is this true?
    Are maintenance items in use: diskcleanup, clear browsing history, java ok, etc?
    Consider resetting IE9
    --- Check out how to reset internet explorer settings http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

Poltor (2013-07-25)

Thanks
    Or it's some advertising scam trying to foist some pre-infected browser on you.

Bottom line: if you need to update your browser, get it from source or a trusted site. Any site that modifies a download, wants you to install some download 'manager' first, or wraps it with some 'free offer' isn't trustworthy. If you didn't go looking for it, don't click it!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the hints/tips.
    I don't downlad anything except from its producer's site - not even via Cnet unless sent there by the vendor. I have used Majorgeeks but only for a specific utility found via Windows Secrets.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Probably means that IE 9 does not support certain features that define a modern browser, although it's your only option regarding IE. As far as I know FF and Chrome run on every Windows OS version, so one of those would be an option.
    I think it's always the web sites which are out-of-date in these cases. I visited a site today with IE10 and it told me I was using "ancient IE6".

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    IE tipically lagged behind other browsers regarding support for web standards. It still does, although the latest versions have recovered some of the lost ground. So outdated here probably means support for recent web standards and technologies and not whether it is the most recent browser Microsoft offers you.
    Which web standards or technologies are missing from IE 9, 10 or 11?

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Support for CSS 3.0 or HTML5 for example was always worse on IE than on competing browsers. Things started to change with IE 9 and IE 10 improved even more on that. I confess I don't really know about IE 11.0, since it is really a Windows 8.1 browser - although a developer preview for Windows 7 has been made available today.

Thing is, web developers have always been distrusting regarding IE, for lack of standards support. They basically relied on the competitions browsers for standards support. That also had another consequence - the main browsers all used a similar engine, Webkit, and even when IE increased support for standards, many pages displayed differently from what other browsers showed - that didn't help either.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also found this came up when my default browser was Firefox, and Microsoft's site had started in IE 9.0, then 'jumped' to Firefox for a process.
    Temporarily changing the default browser allowed it to proceed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried Compatibility View in IE9? Or if you're already using Compatibility View, have you tried taking IE out of it?

Lounger
    Thanks
    "telling me that I am using an out-of-date browser, and to update it to improve my 'experience'."

An ad-based recommendation, and dangerous to take seriously... I have never had a problem ignoring it.