New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Strange occurrence with Windows Update

Hi, all!

I've been doing some maintenance on a friend's laptop (a Toshiba Satellite L650 with 8GB RAM, running Win7 Ultimate x64).

A few days ago, I was offered the usual batch of "Patch Tuesday" updates (which usually arrive on Wednesday or Thursday here in Sydney, Australia).

Included in the huge (over 350MB) batch of updates was: "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - July 2013 (KB890930)."

The whole batch of updates installed successfully, according to Windows Update History.

Today (about 2 -3 days later), I was just offered the exact same update: "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - July 2013 (KB890830)."

I accepted the installation, which was also successful, according to Windows Update History.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone would be kind enough to explain to me why the exact same update was offered twice and installed successfully on both occasions.

Best regards to all
    Christopher Souter
    (Sydney, Australia)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I can only confirm that I and others also got it twice (but I don't know the reason), e.g.:

The Same Update, Twice?

Windows update etc

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-07-12 at 10:03.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I can only confirm that I and others also got it twice (but I don't know the reason), e.g.:

The Same Update, Twice?

Windows update etc

Bruce

I did too. Now with the Patch Lady's column out, I have updated Windows over night and Sidebar and MMC is crashing. I am still researching this..... O.o

Crysta

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it looks as if nobody knows the reason for this little surprise from Microsoft.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

Best regards
    Chris Souter
    (Sydney, Australia)

Thanks
    FWIW, I've been in Windows 8 all this week, and just booted into Windows 7 this morning expressly for Windows Update. After the first round, reboot, updates successful, etc. I got another "Updates are available" notice. Sure enough, KB890830 was listed.

I ran it again, and it was again successful. Update history shows two instances of KB890830, so perhaps it is indeed a second version? Just a guess. Everything works normally.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Possibly updated malware signatures?

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Possibly updated malware signatures?

Jerry
    That's my guess, Jerry. The utility itself seldom gets updated, but the signatures are updated every month for Patch Tuesday. I'm guessing the second download may well be a late signature update that was easier to deliver a second time than pull and rewrite the signature update already planned for Patch Tuesday.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is confusing, they use the same update KB for this update every month, so guess they can do it for a secondary update if they have some extras that needed to be installed.

Thanks
    Is KB890830 offered and CHECKED? I've seen KB890830 listed each time I'm told new updates are available. I installed it early in July, and from then on, it was still listed, but it didn't come with a check mark to select it, which I interpret as a sign that I shouldn't select it since I already have it (a while ago, the problematic IE 10 was offered, but it too didn't have a check mark next to it, which I took to mean that Microsoft was no longer advising people to install it. Why they didn't just remove it, I don't know. Eventually they DID remove it).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdiva View Post
    Is KB890830 offered and CHECKED? I've seen KB890830 listed each time I'm told new updates are available. I installed it early in July, and from then on, it was still listed, but it didn't come with a check mark to select it, which I interpret as a sign that I shouldn't select it since I already have it (a while ago, the problematic IE 10 was offered, but it too didn't have a check mark next to it, which I took to mean that Microsoft was no longer advising people to install it. Why they didn't just remove it, I don't know. Eventually they DID remove it).
    When something isn't "Checked" it means it is optional if AutoUpdate is selected(I personally don't trust MS, and go strictly Manual) it won't install on its own. You have to do it manual or check it as a flag to WU to install it at next Logoff.

If an update is removed it means the MS no longer recommends the update for YOUR system. If you have that update already install, check with them(Community Forums) or here to see if it is recommended to uninstall the update.

jq2intx: several standard updates use the same KB. They are differentiated by the month or by an unique counting system. They are, to name a few:

MRT, MS Defender, MS Security Essentials........

Crysta

Thanks
    I also had it show a couple times a couple days apart. I also suspect there might have been new sigs for a newly discovered nasty that seemed enough of a threat that a special update was in order. A guess this is actually a good thing.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy