New Lounger
    Thanks

Can no longer display HTML in any browser

Since this affects all my browsers (IE 10, FF and Chrome), I am forced to assume that it's a Win 7 issue. I'm also forced to assume that it's a by-product of this month's Update Tuesday. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit, but my HP laptop (W 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and anything else I try (all updated) does the same thing.
    I'm freshening up a friend's company's web site and have all their pages saved in text and HTML for viewing off line. (the site is not active and, anticipating they'd want to publish it again, I downloaded each page in both formats). I may be putting too much emphasis on the last Update Tuesday, but I have had no problem calling up each so that I can duplicate the format on the new site. Whether you think this is a good plan or not, I don't know, but it works for me. This is a freebie. No good deed goes unpunished, right?

Anyway, IE10 brings up a page, but just the text, no HTML/CSS formatting, and gives me at pop-up at the bottom that says, 'IE has restricted this page from running scripts of Active X controls'. I have adjusted all Active X conditions I can see in all combinations (I think) to no avail.

The other two browsers display the same but don't give an error message.

What am I missing? It's been a bad week on other fronts so maybe my thinking is clouded. :-)

Regards,
    DD

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Does that happen with other websites, as well?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, the pages I do have published are fine. The pages I'm trying to see are not on a published site; the company took them down last year and I made copies, believing they would change their mind at some point, which they did. These are individual pages from the site, saved to my (secondary) hard drive. I had no trouble viewing them by opening each in any browser until this week. That's why I think it's something in this week's MS update. Deductive reasoning, nothing more.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I haven't updated yet, so I can't really tell whether it affects anything, though that seems weird.

Are you running any security software?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I assume you are just double clicking the file in Windows Explorer which opens a browser but this has (for me at least) always just opened the page as plain vanilla text, no formatting. To get formatting you have to run a webserver e.g. Apache and then open them in the browser, so I'm surprised you were able to see them with the formatting. Perhaps a screenshot would help us see what any potential problem might be.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Norton Internet Security 2013.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, yes. I set file associations for these pages to IE 10 and open usually within IE rather than double-clicking.( I tend to use FF for a main browser and Chrome just irritates me the way it deals with Java). That part doesn't matter; the result is the same. I've had these files for nearly a year since they took the site down and have looked at them periodically. Opening them this way was never a problem. In looking closer at the code, I do see some calls to CSS files and Javascript that are not available. But, they never we and everything is in the same location that it always was. The site was originally developed in Word Press if that means anything. My brother in Colorado is a certified Google Geo 3D developer and is trying to get me interested in Joomla, which he uses exclusively for his projects, including some Colorado weather sites, etc. that he has produced. In looking at the Joomla requirements, I see it has to run in a web server environment. Ok. But, here's the deal. Yes, I spent many moons in the computer 'bidness', 15+ years with IBM and Apple but these days I have a business to run and don't need another steep learning curve for Apache/Joomla. It's bad enough that I'm doing this site update as a favor. :-) I have gone ahead and set up the master page and published what I have and am fleshing out the individual pages and, in general, moving forward. So, the question(s) is this: 1.) Is it worth it to install a web server just to see these pages correctly formatted (I have all the text and the storyboard/sitemap and development notes from the previous site developer). 2.) Does Apache run as an application/program or turn the system into a dedicated server? My ex-home server is an AMD dual-core I built for WHS 2009 and then 2011 but now runs Win 8 Pro 64 bit as a server. I could use this as my 'mule'. I'm not opposed to learning new stuff, but I can't spend forever branching off into new tools, just to get this 'favor' I'm doing up and running. I know; don't you hate people who do you a favor and them bitch about it? Sorry for the long post. As an ex-engineer, if you ask me what time it is, I tell you how the watch was made.
    Last edited by ddunk1946; 2013-07-13 at 08:56.

Thanks
    For my own web site (link in my signature) I have the site stored on my PC. I don't have any problem opening pages in IE, which loads them as html and displays them as if they were online (the only difference being the address is shown as the local folder heirarchy). I do get the warning about Active X controls, even though there is no Active X anywhere in my site, and just click Allow. It views and navigates locally in the same way it views and navigates online.

I don't have a separate web server installed.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

ddunk1946 (2013-07-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, that was my experience, up to about 4 days ago (or earlier this week). I never got the warning about blocked content until now, but clicking it to allow makes no difference. I've thought about it carefully and the only thing that's changed this week is Update Tuesday. Well, as I said, I am moving forward as I do have all the content. I was just trying to get it as close to the original as possible without spending a lot of extra time agonizing over design. This is the kind of thing that will bug me until I sort it out. Thanks for your input!