New Lounger
    Thanks

Is Win7 64-bit possible in VPN within Win7 32-bit OS?

Is it possible to Run Win7 64bit as a virtual OS on a Win7 32Bit machine. I'd like to test 64bit without a reinstall - and then find it causes more problems than it solves . Any advice on how to ? basically to speed up Photoshop. Cheers

Thanks
    Moved to it's own thread rather than down long list of posts in an existing thread.

If the PC is 64 Bit capable, it might be possible. However, you might not see the performance gains you are trying to evaluate because the Host and Client OS's are consuming the same resources.

Much of the speed increases are dependent on how many apps are running (multi-tasking) consuming resources, and how much Ram (part of the resources) you have. A VM will use somewhat more resources than the original OS because both the Host and Client OS's are loaded simultaneously.

I would think a better test would be a dual boot scenario where both OS's are installed in separate partitions or drives and run independently depending on which you boot to.

Another consideration is do you have 2 licenses for these OS's or is this a retail pack with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks included. If it is the latter, you specifically cannot install both OS's at the same time. You can only have one installed.

Another alternative might be to use a 3rd party Imaging app to create an Image of the original 32 Bit OS, then install the 64 Bit to see if it does what you want to do. Using an Image, it only takes about 10 minutes in most cases to restore the original OS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd recommend the imaging solution over the others. For one thing, if using 64-bit Windows does speed up PhotoShop (which it probably will do only if you increase the installed RAM beyond 4 GB, which is the most that 32-bit Windows can address), then you won't have to install it again to make it permanent.

A free image-backup program is available from Seagate (http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/). Make the bootable CD and make sure that it works before you start making the backup.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you please provide the specifications of your current PC/Laptop?

If the trial were to work would you add more RAM for the 64 bit OS? (this question may be redundant depending on your hardware specifications)

Unless you have some legacy/badly made software there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with Win 7 x86 to Win 7 x64. Peripheral hardware may be a different story, some manufacturers don't have x64 drivers its getting rarer thankfully.

Remember to you can use something like Windows 7 Easy Transfer to help migrate over.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I have actually tried this. While it WILL work, you will not see see much benefit. The VM is limited to only using a portion of your visible RAM and resources. In my case I have a dual core processor and 8 GB of RAM installed. Using a VM under 32 bit Win7 Pro, I only see 3.5 GB of that and under the VM can only allocate 1.5-2 GB. Also, it does not use both CPUs. (This is using VM Ware, not Win VPC).

I have recently done a dual boot with Ubuntu to try out Linux and using the full 8GB RAM really speeds things up!

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    I'd like to test 64bit without a reinstall - and then find it causes more problems than it solves.
    This sounds like a fun thing to try...just to see if it works. But even if it works, I don't think it will tell you what you want to know. Because you will be using well-tested VM drivers, you will miss the physical drivers that cause most 64 bit problems. And, as has already been pointed out, you won't see any performance gain because your VM won't be able to breathe.