New Lounger
    Thanks

How to make myself administrator in 'used' PC

Hello All,
    let me start out by saying this is a cool page..lounge..forum...I have been looking for this for a while. So thanks, I am new here, but not new to the networking world. I actually know more about networking than computers....if you can believe that :-)
    My dilema is this: My son gave me his home built PC ( Windows 7 home premium, 64 bit, 8 - gig mem, and core i5 / AMD ) desktop. Works great but
    I basically added myself as a user account with full rights, but when I go into CMD, I see the guts of the PC ( programs, windows, documents, downloads, etc)
    are all under his name. How do I go about making me the only user and getting all that stuff under my username , and deleting his user account ?
    Thank you very much for any assistance you can provide...and I will be glad to assist any that I can ....like i said I know a lot about LAN's. WAN's . firewalls...some Unix, mostly Cisco ! :-)

Thank you

Tecsurfer,

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could just log in as him and delete your account rather than set up everything for you. All you need to do is change / remove his password.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm confused. When you say "are all under his name" do you mean that the files are owned by his account or they are located under his profile directory?

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel / User Accounts / Manage User Accounts. You can remove his account, or you could choose Properties, and then give him limited access.

I'd keep his account active and just make it a limited access account. That way, his stuff will remain completely intact and available. Just make sure that there is a password on it.

When you try to access his stuff logged in as yourself, it will offer you the opportunity to approve the access. Just one extra step.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When the programs were installed / files created, they were under your son's user account. If you just use his account you don't need to change anything else.

cheers, Paul