New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Memory Slot confusion Toshiba Satellite A105-S171

Running Windows XP. Trying to upgrade the memory in this recently acquired machine. It only had one slot occupied with memory of 512mbs of DDR2 PC2-4300. according to SIW. I had some memory left over from a previous upgrade on one Gig. of DDR2 PC2-6400 and put it in. Now it reports that I have 1536mb of total memory and 895mb available.??? Belarc adviser says there is 896mb and that one slot is empty. Switching the memory reports similar reversed findings. I ordered 2 1gig sticks of DDR2 PC-2 4200. As before when I installed 2 gigs the machine refuses to start. What gives??? BIOS setting?
    baggage1

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baggage1 View Post
    Running Windows XP. Trying to upgrade the memory in this recently acquired machine. It only had one slot occupied with memory of 512mbs of DDR2 PC2-4300.
    baggage,

Hello... Mixing and matching Memory can be a problem .. I would advise only using "Matched Pairs " and sometimes only in certain positions ,as required by the "MOBO" It's not uncommon to have bad "Sticks" even when purchased new ... If this were my rig ....i would

1. Have Crucial do a free scan of my PC and read over their recommendations

2. You can do this from their website free ... Crucial and Here Crucial Scan

3. Bios will see what RAM is installed ...This will give you a clue as to whats up.

Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-13 at 15:18.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did the Crucial scan Fred, it said, as did Belarc Advisor that an occupied slot was empty. The purchased ram was matched. When I put matched in, it wont boot. I can put the 512mb ram stick in either slot and it shows. It only works with uneven ram. however the larger stick shows up. Peculiar I say. System Information shows installed ram as 1535MB. Available 895MB.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I did the Crucial scan Fred, it said, as did Belarc Advisor that an occupied slot was empty. The purchased ram was matched. When I put matched in, it wont boot. I can put the 512mb ram stick in either slot and it shows.
    baggage,
    Hello...
    1. I would question the matched set of RAM ..not booting.. Are you sure that the "Matched Pair" will\can work with your hardware ...( recommended for your PC by Crucial)

2. What happens if you put the new (Pair) one at a time, also switching slots.

3. My thought is there is something wrong with the Matched Pair ...one or the other has a problem... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-13 at 18:23.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I did the Crucial scan Fred, it said, as did Belarc Advisor that an occupied slot was empty. The purchased ram was matched. When I put matched in, it wont boot. I can put the 512mb ram stick in either slot and it shows. It only works with uneven ram. however the larger stick shows up. Peculiar I say. System Information shows installed ram as 1535MB. Available 895MB.
    Did you buy the memory advised by Crucial?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem once with Crucial RAM for a laptop. The laptop wouldn't boot with the matched pair of sticks they sold me, and it turned out I needed the other "sided" type (i.e., they sold me single-sided, and the laptop required double-sided, or vice versa). The Crucial scanner doesn't see this requirement. Customer Service shipped me the right type, and I returned the incorrect pair.

Thanks
    When selecting memory for a system DO NOT RELY SOLEY on any website's scanner ability, or any other software.
    Look up the MB specs and do the research yourself.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have downloaded the manual for the specific machine however it does not give specifics on memory details. It's not as if you can order a repair manual and not be a Toshiba Authorized repair facility. All I can do is take the information as to what was inside initially. It works with other speeds however so the window is one speed up. I have contacted the seller and have not heard from him as of yet. I gave him the specifics on my machine. I thought there might be a BIOS setting to be looked at to allow for 2 gigs of memory.

Thanks
    I'm in a similar situation with this old Dell latpop I have lying around...it has an onboard memory of 512mb and only one extra slot. When trying to install any RAM, I get the no boot up loop, no matter what RAM stick I try. It's so old though I'm not going to sink in money into it as the HDD went bad as well, I'll never get out what I put into if I try to repair and upgrade the hardware.

If any one comes up with a low cost fix I might reconsider.

Thanks
    If you can't find the info on the Toshiba website, you might try calling Toshiba. Also, check to see if they have a spare parts listing.

If all of that fails, then go on several different memory vendor's websites and see what they say is required for your machine. If they all say one thing, and Crucial says another thing, or if most of them say the same thing, I'd go with the majority.