Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 apps have all stopped working

Last week first Chrome stopped working. This seemed to be a problem with Norton 360 - when I'd un- and reinstalled this it worked again.

Then I noticed that none of the windows 8 apps work. Some apps, which I think are not windows 8 ones - do run. The ones that don't run have a small "x" to the bottom right of their tile.

The only solution I can find is to "refresh" Windows 8 - which seems to mean uninstalling and reinstalling it, and then having to reinstall all the programmes I've installed since getting the computer. Given how much trouble I had installing e.g. iTunes, Chrome, Firefox... I'd rather not have to do this.

Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I'd want to take a closer look at your Norton 360's advanced settings if I were you.
    See if there is not something in there in terms of advanced settings that you have missed.

I do not use Norton so I cannot be anymore specific then that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the Windows 8 Apps Troubleshooter, from the last paragraph of this page: What to do if you have problems with an app

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried the troubleshooter, and checking norton. I've now "refreshed" the computer, losing all the software I'd installed (Office, eWallet, chrome, Norton...) and I still have no working metro apps. I guess I'll just have to plug in an external hard drive, copy all my data files onto it, and do a complete reinstall. Ugh. It'll be a week or so before the bloody machine's working again - I don't know if I'm right to blame Windows 8, but it seems the most likely candidate...

Any other suggestions before I spend days reinstalling everything?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Only for afterward; make a master image of the system when everything is installed again and working just so; refresh and reset don't seem to be the best options for easy recovery. Macrium Reflect or EaseUS ToDo free are all ya need for that task.

Thanks
    I would more suspect Norton, or some kind of corruption than Win 8.

A complete reinstallation with a Custom Installation should solve the problem, followed as F.U.N. says by a complete system image. With my Up To Date images I can restore my system in less than 10 minutes. I create a new Image each month right after patch Tuesday.

I also have moved all data to a separate partition on my HD so that a reinstallation of the OS does not touch the data. This combined with regular back ups of the data keep my data safe from these type problems.

I might ask how Win 8 was originally installed. Was it a new PC with Win 8 preinstalled or an Upgrade Installation of an existing OS? Many of these type of problems were caused by Upgrades from a less than pristine original installation to Win 8 rather than using a Custom Install when originally installing Win 8. Generally the Upgrade Installation works fine, but any issues with the underlying original installation can be carried over to Win 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't think it's a Norton problem because, since the refresh, Norton isn't running. The computer was a new (Sony Vaio) laptop, purchased end December 2012 with Windows 8 preinstalled.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Check if any of the advice given here may be of help: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I refreshed the 'puter, and now I can't install software... Will create a separate post.