Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8 File History can't find Backup drive

I am trying to set up Windows 8's File History using Fred Langa's excellent writeup in Issue 393 of the Windows Secrets Newsletter.
    I have a second SATA HDD installed just for backups and I have had no trouble using it to backup drive images, files, etc., but when I try to select that drive to use with File History it does not appear in the available drives list. I can only use external USB or network drives. Can anyone tell me how to make my second SATA drive appear in the available drives list so I can use it with Windows 8's File History. Windows Explorer and Disk Management have no problem recognizing this drive. As a side note, my wife's computer is identical to mine, including the second SATA backup drive and File History has no trouble finding it and it works fine with File History. I would appreciate any help solving this problem. Thanks.

Jarome

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jarome,

Set your second drive or whatever partition on it that you want to use to shared and allow everyone permission. Do this by right clicking on the drive or partition and selecting properties.

Rich

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I had same problem as yours. My work around follows:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...r-File-History

Scroll down to #5
    Last edited by rmonroe36; 2013-07-15 at 15:31. Reason: Addition

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved! I first tried sharing the Backup drive I wanted to use with File History. No change. File History did not list it in available drives. I checked the Backup drive on my wife's computer where File History was running normally and listed all available drives. That drive was NOT shared so I knew that was not the problem. Following rmonroe36's link I learned that any folders on the Backup drive could NOT be included in a Library. I did not know this and don't remember Fred Langa mentioning this important point in his fine article. I DID find 4 folders on the Backup drive which were included in a Library. I removed them from the Library, but still no luck. Rebooting the computer did not help. Then for some reason I turned OFF File History and then turned it back ON. Guess what! The missing drive was now listed in the available drives list. I selected it and everything works fine! Thanks to rmonroe36 and rlfvt for your great help. I think we all learned something.

Jarome

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's why this is a great forum. There is always something new to learn and share!

Rich