New Lounger
    Thanks

XP updates caused harm to PC

Have an HP XP Pro, and have been using MS update for years with no problem. However, in this July's Updates, three updates caused pc to Slow down and take Much longer to start. The updates were security updates for service packs 2, 3.5 and 4.
    Fortunately, l set a restore point prior to each update, also removed them from pc control panel. Now, pc is Running like Brand New, flawlessly.
    My browser is Chrome, With Non M$ utilities, has anyone else experienced these slight difficulties with ms update? l am Very skepticle of m$......

Thank you Very Much!

Thanks
    Slight difficulties? NO! Major disasters!

I had to do major repairs to several of my XP customer's PC's after they got a MS update.
    Now they, like me, have MS UPdates turned OFF.

The sheer number of complaints about MS Updates causing problems has led many to think that MS is purposely trying to get people to buy new computers with a newer OS on them.

After all these years, you're going to get Nothing from MS that you really need (with XP), so why not just turn OFF updates and be done with the problems. ???

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You So Much, Doctor!! You Rock!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    could you please provide me with your web page email address?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steveothehighlander View Post
    Have an HP XP Pro, and have been using MS update for years with no problem. However, in this July's Updates, three updates caused pc to Slow down and take Much longer to start. The updates were security updates for service packs 2, 3.5 and 4.
    You should only be getting updates for XP Service Pack 3. I think you're referring to .NET versions.

In which case the Patch Watch advice was; "The usual .NET drill — put these updates on hold until the end of the month. I’ll discuss them in the next Patch Watch."

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    After all these years, you're going to get Nothing from MS that you really need (with XP), so why not just turn OFF updates and be done with the problems?
    Except protection from attacks targeting all those newly discovered vulnerabilities?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excuse that error...meant .Net frameworks Not Service Packs. Oops.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed ALL of the MS updates from the beginning, except the Power Shell, Bing thing, and Windows Search, and have never had a problem. I find it hard to believe that MS would deliberately add anything to steer users to have to buy a new OS!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This problem may be an "HP-ism." I successfully downloaded and installed all the July updates into an Acer WinXP-Pro laptop, an older Gateway WinXP-Pro laptop and an ancient WinXP-Pro IceCube desktop. All three machines continue to perform just fine. However, I do appreciate the heads-up on the problem, since I still have two recently-acquired, refurbished HP WinXP-Pro desktops to unbox and update before putting them into service. I guess I will forego installing the July 2013 .Net frameworks updates until this issue gets resolved.
    Last edited by trs047; 2013-07-18 at 17:12.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not one issue with all the offered updates including NET patches on my old Sony Vaio Laptop running XP Pro two days ago. I will not be certain of whatever M$ does intend to do to us. Their money path is shrinking with Win 8 disaster...