Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to Uprade from 7 to 8

Currently running Windows 7 Pro as my main OS. Have played around with Windows 8 enough to be comfortable with it. While I'll probably wait for 8.1 to become available, same question will apply. Should I upgrade to Windows 8 in place (over Windows 7) or do a fresh install. I know in general, advice is to do a fresh install, but I have lots of apps with customizations, all of which I lose and it's pain to do over again, unless the gain is so great doing the fresh install instead of the upgrade. Thoughts?

Dave

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Image your Win 7 system and then try the upgrade. If things don't work out you can always restore the image and do a clean install if you wish.
    I performed an upgrade over vista on my laptop back in November and have had no problems.
    Vista was a fresh reinstall so it was pristine. Any problems you might have now would most likely carry over to the upgrade but if you feel your system is stable it is definitely worth a shot.
    I would try it now so you can see if there are any problems before you go to 8.1. I'm not yet convinced that there are all that many problems with the upgrade process.

Rich

Thanks
    Since you have so much already set up in Windows 7 that you don't want to lose, I would recommend that you do an upgrade rather than a clean install.

If you do a clean install, you will need to spend a lot of time and effort to get everything set up the way you currently have it set up.

Personally, if I have the disks or original software available so that I can reinstall everything, I prefer to do a clean install. Basically, you spend the time now, doing a clean install, and then getting everything correct and as you want it. You will then have less potential of bugs and issues later.

Here's a thought: You can use this as an opportunity to get a new, bigger hard drive. The old hard drive will then become a complete backup of the current system. Then, if things don't go as you hope, you can always swap back to the old hard drive.

A new hard drive will be faster and bigger than what you now have, and it will reset the hard drive failure clock back to zero.

Thanks
    I am just the opposite. I will ALWAYS do a Custom (Clean) install since I trust I will get a much more pristine installation this way. When I installed Win 8 in place of Win 7 on 2 PCs, the total time involved, including adding all my apps, upgrading all my apps including Office 2010 and adding all my customizations was a total of 10 hours. This was 5 hours each on both PCs. This also included 3 Images each with a defrag before each image (1 at Win 8 install, 1 after all apps prior to Office, and a final after everything was completed). This also gave me the opportunity to upgrade all apps I use regularly.

Before hand I already had a separate partition for all my data so this was unaffected by the installation. I did have to point all the data folders on the new Win 8 installation toward the data, but this was also included in the installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I always do a clean install as well, except in very rare circumstances. For example, if I can't find the software or drivers that I'll need to reinstall.

He said that he had everything all set up, and he didn't want to take all of the time to set everything up again. If he's really not up to the task, then I'd say that he could do an upgrade rather than a clean install, if he understands that he is missing a rare opportunity to clean up all of the mess that always builds over time in Windows, as well as avoid the mess that is created when you do an upgrade.

Some people aren't bothered by said mess. I am, and so I always do a clean install.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    DO NOT use the Win 8.1 Preview to upgrade. Once the final version of 8.1 is released, you will have to reinstall everything if you used the 8.1 preview.

Thanks
    If you have completed a full system Image, you can upgrade to Win 8.1, then when you are ready to install the released version, simply restore your Image. This allows the installation of Win 8.1 without having to reinstall everything else.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    If you have completed a full system Image, you can upgrade to Win 8.1, then when you are ready to install the released version, simply restore your Image. This allows the installation of Win 8.1 without having to reinstall everything else.
    The only problem with this is that you have to reinstall every thing you added in the interim including favorites and emails. The final release is scheduled for September or October so I plan to wait for that. Bringing everything up to date isn't worth the minor gains 8.1 isn't worth installing it now for me.

Jerry

Thanks
    Unless of course all your data is on a separate partition as mine is. Then this restore does not touch any of my data. Of course any OS or app updates would have to be re-installed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, are your internet favorites saved in your data partition? Not a big deal to restore them, but just saying. You also lose any add ons to browsers or programs that were done in the interim. I agree putting your data in a separate partition is a big help but many us don't do that. Some of my data is on the OS partition and some of it is on another partition (including my email pst file). Like I said, its not worth the fooling around for me instead of a two month wait. It appears to work for you. It was good you brought up the option but I just wanted to show some of the downsides.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Bringing everything up to date isn't worth the minor gains 8.1 isn't worth installing it now for me.

Jerry
    And it's a Preview/Beta 8.1, at that.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yes my internet favorites are on the Data Drive. Since I very seldom add more add-ons this is not an issue either.

DataFolder.jpg

Also, as has been mentioned, any changes you wish to make in the system during the experimentation would have to be redone if you wish to keep those changes during the restore.

I will most likely also wait until the official release before trying Win 8.1 again. I just have higher priority things to do with my time rather than playing with what is a large update to my existing OS.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-07-20 at 08:00.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I used to do nothing but clean installs. Microsoft has invested a great deal to improve the upgrade process. Starting with a Vista upgrade to Windows 7 on my personal PC I've done nothing but upgrades on a number of machines. I've been impressed with how well they've gone.

The only caveat for me would be that your current Windows 7 system must be stable & running well otherwise there is a very good chance that your problems will migrate with the OS.

Be sure to backup anything you consider important before you begin either an upgrade or clean install.

Joe

Thanks
    On one of my machines I went from Windows 95 OSR2 to Windows 98 to Windows 2000 Pro to XP Pro, all via upgrade. It worked just fine. Keeping a stable and well running installation is the key. I skipped Vista entirely, and had to clean install Windows 7 Ultimate since there was no upgrade path from XP.

And I'm dual booting Windows 7/8, so I did clean installs of 8 Pro on my laptop and desktop.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    As Joe said, the key is having a stable, well running OS to start with. Unfortunately many of those choosing the upgrade path just have not met this caveat. Many are upgrading because their original OS just "Isn't working right" and they think upgrading will solve that problem. Just ain't so in many cases!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast