Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to Upgrade Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro; stuck in a loop

my box containing Windows 8 Pro arrived today and I'm trying to get started with the upgade process.

I boot the computer with the Upgrade disc in the DVD drive. I press a key to boot from the DVD.

When the blue screen appears, I choose Install Now. I enter the Product key. I choose Upgrade instead of Custom installation.

Then the fun starts. A box appears, telling me I need to remove the disc and restart the computer in Windows 7. Then I need to re-insert the disc and restart the Install process. I am NOT to select Custom Install when I do.

So what I do: I remove the disc, as told. I do not have a way of restarting (the 3-finger salute does not work) so I hold down the Power button until the computer is off. Then I restart and let the computer boot into Windows 7. When that is done, I insert the Windows 8 disk and restart the computer.

I press a key to boot using the DVD, and repeat the steps as first outlined. I end up back at the same page where it tells me to remove the disc, restart and boot into Windows 7.

The is pretty incomprehensible. Can anyone straighten me out?

What I am trying to do is move from a pretty bare 64-bit Win 7 Pro install into a 64-bit Win 8 Pro upgrade.

As usual guys, many thanks. You are all terrific.

Jack Lavelle in Phoenix

Thanks
    I would definitely choose Custom Install, then Advanced (disk) Options and Format. This will give you a pristine installation. Since the Win 7 install is brand new, there is nothing worth saving.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, tho from reading the little that MS gives you, it sounds like Upgrade is the way. But if it won't install that way, there is the alternative at least. I was just waiting with some distance and clarity to tell me. Thanks again for stepping up.

Thanks
    On both our PCs I used the Upgrade Media (Cheaper price) to Custom install Win 8. I first Imaged our Win 7 OS'es then Custom Installed and formatted during the install. Both have been working glitch free, except when I do something to screw mine up. I seem to be always playing with different things. That's why keeping my Image up to date is so important to me. I can get back in about 10 minutes.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both have been working glitch free, except when I do something to screw mine up. I seem to be always playing with different things. That's why keeping my Image up to date is so important to me. I can get back in about 10 minutes
    I definitely agree!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I'm properly reading what you wrote I think you explained why it doesn't seem to work correctly when you said "the computer is off. Then I restart and let the computer boot into Windows 7. When that is done, I insert the Windows 8 disk and restart the computer".
    To upgrade you should boot Windows 7, then insert the disk while Windows 7 is running and start the upgrade.

Thanks
    Jack:

There are two meanings to the word "upgrade" here:

1. If you have a previous version of Windows, you can "upgrade" to Windows 8 at a cheaper price than retail.
    2. When you install Windows 8, you don't wipe the drive and get a totally new and clean install, but rather you install Windows 8 on top of Windows 7, preserving as much of your Windows 7 stuff as possible.

Step 1 is necessary, so that you can in fact use the cheaper "upgrade" version of Windows 8. The reason you had to remove the Windows 8 disk and then insert the Windows 7 disk is so that Windows 8 would know that you qualified for the cheaper price. (It would see that you had purchased a Windows 7 license, and so it would allow you to continue.)

Step 2: I believe that everyone here would agree that you should not do the type of "upgrade" I have described in step 2. As Medico stated in post #2, since your Windows 7 install is brand new, there is nothing that you need to save from it. Therefore, a clean, "wipe the drive" install is absolutely the way to go.

Do the install again. Boot with the Windows 8 disk in the drive. This time, however, when it asks you if you want to upgrade or do a custom install, choose Custom Install. That will allow you to choose a clean install.

When it prompts you to put in the Windows 7 disk, do so. This will satisfy the upgrade requirement I have described in step 1. But don't worry; it won't install anything from the Windows 7 disk; it just wants to verify that you have a valid license for Windows 7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVAIO View Post
    When that is done, I insert the Windows 8 disk and restart the computer.

I press a key to boot using the DVD, and repeat the steps as first outlined. I end up back at the same page where it tells me to remove the disc, restart and boot into Windows 7.
    In order to do an upgrade installation, after you have booted into Windows 7 and inserted the Windows 8 disk DO NOT restart the computer. Click Start > Run > Browse and navigate to the DVD drive. Click "setup.exe" and follow the instructions.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearren, you said it much more clearly than I did.