2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mysterious web slowdown

My wife's machine is running W7 home premium 64 bit connected to our home network via a linksys wireless router. Her network connectivity has slowed to a crawl. Using speedtest.net, my download has been around 20 Mbps and hers 0.06. This makes no sense.

I ran Macecraft jv16 PowerTools 2013 on her machine and boosted her speeds above mine YESTERDAY. Today, it's back to crawl worse than the initial tests yesterday.

Very strange.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Hi Dan, it's possible that this is the result of a 'net congestion felt globally over the last week or so. I don't have any references to hand (I'm barely awake yet) but it's something I, and others I'm in contact with, have experienced several times. I also recall at least one article that mentioned it.

It seems to have some rolling, moving pattern, everything is fine for some time, then you hit a patch of treacle.

Of course, it may be something different in your case - check the DNS settings are the same on both machines, clear History, cookies and cache on each browser, then test on a chose group of sites at the same time on both machines, followed by a Speedtest check/compare. Done after a reboot, of the router as well, would be preferable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is definitely in her machine. I just ran speedtest on three computers with Chrome browsers (9 am Tucson time)
    My big box Ping-22, Down-30 Mbps, up 12.8 Mbps
    Her old box Ping 121-147, Down 0.6-2.0 up 0.5-1.9
    HP Pavilion (W8) on desk next to her computer Ping 10-41 Down 11.9-27 Up 10.7-12.7
    DNS server addresses are the same all machines.

She became unhappy with her computer's performance about 3-4 days ago and called tech support (DANIEL!!!!!)
    I ran some crap cleaners that improved the speedtest results significantly and the next morning it was back to crawl.
    I'm a geologist, what do I know?
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    If she is using a wireless connection, try changing the wireless channel by 5 numbers or more to avoid interference from other wireless sources . You can also download and run inSSIDer to see which channels are being used so can find the free ones.
    http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Jerry

Thanks
    Try disabling browser helper objects -- sometimes they slow things down considerably.

Go to Tools / Internet Options / Advanced.
    In the Browsing section, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Super mod,

I downloaded inSSIDer and installed it on the HP and on the troubled box. My network shows as the strongest signal with the others so far down, they probably don't interfere EXCEPT occasionally, for a second or so, one of the other networks is MUCH stronger than mine including one from a condo where the owner is at work right now.

The install on the troubled box ONLY showed my network and none of the others. There are no signal spikes. It looks like the network adapter is weak (maybe). It's a Linksys card with three antennas and when I rejiggered the the antennas, four of the other local networks showed up, 20 dB down from mine and the signal traces in the window are discontinuous. There was marginal improvement when I moved the box from a floor stand to the desktop.

I ran speedtest, the ping was 100 ms Download was 2.2 Mbps and upload 5.7 (sort of backward). Strange.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried a local file transfer test to see if the problem persists while working within your network?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    It still might be useful to try another Wireless channel in case you are getting wireless interference from another non computer network source like a wireless phone.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, this is clearly my network. I ran a transfer test on Lightroom 5 (810 Mb), The transfer estimated remaining time was 40 min and this did not change before I stopped it after 5 min. The wireless card is more than 3 yeas old but I don't see how that could slow thing down as much as they have. Clearly it is less sensitive than the wireless card in my new HP Pavilion that runs just fine alongside the old box.

I have never changed the wireless channel and have no idea of how I might do that.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Ok, Dan, so the million dollar question - what changed with that computer? Were patches applies, new software installed?

Just to clearly pinpoint this to the wireless card without any doubts - does the laptop have an ethernet card. If so, could you connect it and ran the file transfer test again?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife uses her computer for e-mail and watching people throw pots on you-tube. I upgraded the computer I built 8 years ago to accept Windows 7 and it has worked for her until last week. I do image manipulation and try new software on mine, she uses Firefox and G-mail. The only change to her computer was installation of Microsoft patches.Tomorrow, I'm going to roll them back to last week.

My HP Pavilion is a small, light, completely self-contained unit. I suspect the ethernet functionality is part of the mother board.

I am the worst of all users. I know enough about computers to be dangerous but not enough to get myself, or anybody else, out of trouble. Fortunately, Tucson's best computer store is a five minute walk from my condo and the rainy season has dropped daytime temperatures into the low 90s. They're not Micro-Center but I can buy a replacement ethernet card and return it if it does not solve my problem.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This has all the signs of malware if you cleaned up the system one day, it was OK, & the next was performing badly again. If JV16 does not allow you to manage startup items have look at Autoruns or WhatInStartup. Note: Autoruns produces a ton of information. Initially you should concern yourself with the Logon tab.

If you are not sure of what some of the items are please post a screenshot. Someone here will help.

You should consider running a full malware scan with something like Malwarebytes Anti-malware free or your favorite tool or both.

Joe

Thanks
    I have never changed the wireless channel and have no idea of how I might do that
    You need to log into your router to change the wireless channel. Once you log in to your router, look for a wireless settings page. See your router manual for login instructions.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is all very interesting but the most important observation is the HP laptop next to the desk computer separated from the router by the same walls and the same distance. Ping times on it are half or less, download and upload speeds are 3 or 4 times faster and comparable to speeds on my computer connected to the router by wires. I suspect that upload speed being faster than download on the faulty machine is significant but don't know why.

Mt Linksys E900 router has no provision for changing the channel at 2.4 Ghz. Thorough scan by both Vipre and the Microsoft tool finds no malware they can catch.

I'm going to the computer store this afternoon and buy another wireless card just to test that possibility.

You guys have made me think and do things I might not have tried on my own, thanks.
    Last edited by stonecherub; 2013-07-17 at 14:10.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecherub View Post
    My Linksys E900 router has no provision for changing the channel at 2.4 Ghz.
    I think it does: E900 - how to change Wi-Fi channel?

Bruce