Thanks

Wink Microsoft security? Food for thought

"MICROSOFT'S UNANSWERED PRIVACY QUESTION"S

The above is a heading in the 15 July 2013 edition of "Office Watch".

(This goes about a Guardian report that Microsoft staff are alleged to work with the United States National Security Agency to ensure there are systems in place to read even encrypted emails).

The article, together with recent announcements in the media, certainly gives rise to doubt about the security of our electronic data...particularly that which we (increasingly) so readily store "in the cloud", trusting assurances that it will be "secure". My advice: Don't publish unless you are willing to risk it being seen by persons other than your target audience!!
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-07-16 at 10:12. Reason: corrected typo.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I guess the following are the articles referred to, Peter:

http://office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1875

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...tion-user-data

Thanks
    @satrow: Correct! (Plus the info in the links at the foot of the office-watch link in your post).

Thanks, (I guess I should have included the links in my post for ease of reference).
    Last edited by petesmst; 2013-07-16 at 11:22.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Yes, sometimes a combination of an introductory quote (first or concluding paragraph, perhaps) with a (non-shortened) link is good for attention grabbing and safer too; trying to guess search strings to read the correct article might lead to unwanted, possibly dangerous, sites.

The Title and your own comments were fine

/lesson

Thanks
    And now, Microsoft says the whole thing is some sort of "gag"(!!?) MS says they have "never" provided the NSA with any "direct" access to e-mails or online messages... They add that "Microsoft only provides information when legally forced to do so; and Microsoft always tells the customer it has handed over the data unless the law says it can't do so".

http://www.infopackets.com/news/gove...curity_gag.htm

Thanks
    Yes, it's all quite interesting; compare the MS take with what Yahoo! tried to do in 2008:

In a secret court in Washington, Yahoo’s top lawyers made their case. The government had sought help in spying on certain foreign users, without a warrant, and Yahoo had refused, saying the broad requests were unconstitutional.
    http://investmentwatchblog.com/yahoo...-secret-court/

Thanks
    @satrow: As you say Interesting!! (Watch "this space"!)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

uh huh and i want to buy a bridge

i would like to hear ms say they provide no access at all

from what i have seen the nsa has immediate INdirect access with no delay subject only to their in house legal hurdles

have fun and fill your messages up with tag lines like
    snowden, bomb, anthrax, attack, etc.
    let them waste time reading ALL the email that gets sent

Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    And now, Microsoft says the whole thing is some sort of "gag"(!!?) MS says they have "never" provided the NSA with any "direct" access to e-mails or online messages... They add that "Microsoft only provides information when legally forced to do so; and Microsoft always tells the customer it has handed over the data unless the law says it can't do so".

http://www.infopackets.com/news/gove...curity_gag.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks

Even football has a 10-yard penalty for piling on.

As I understand it, from the frequently-contradictory information dribbling out about this, MS isn't doing anything worse than what anyone else in Silly-Con Valley is doing.

I mean, seriously: I'm very happy to criticize Microflaccid when they do something blame-worthy (which is, realistically, most of the time), but this time it really doesn't seem warranted. Everyone was watching to see what happened with that Yahoo! case, and when they got swatted down, it meant that, basically, everyone (big enough to have shareholders) rolled over and waited for their belly to get rubbed. Okay, maybe not the belly part, but there really wasn't any legal leg to stand on for anyone who wanted to say "no."

That said, it seems, now, that the NSA didn't (doesn't?) require much or any ongoing cooperation. Isn't the whole stink about the papers Snowden hasn't released yet that they show how the NSA gets access? If it was simply everyone handing them whatever they want, that would be no secret at all.

Now, if you want to criticize MS for being a bunch of Bozos (apologies to the clown) for throwing everything into the cloud just as everyone starts wondering whether using the cloud so much is such a great idea, I'm right there with you. They're actually discarding their strategic advantage, which is that almost everyone has MS software installed on their personal computer (even the Mac I use for work has plenty of their junk on it).
    Last edited by Jeffiekins; 2013-07-21 at 12:06.

Thanks
    I'm sure in the end we'll see many of these players, including MS, having taken a more duplicitous role in all this.
    After all, the NSA didn't start all this one day out of the blue, I'm quite certain it preceded 9/11 by many years.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    A (partial, for obvious reasons) story about a Utah ISP's experiences with a specifically targeted intercept:
    They came in and showed me papers. It was a court order from the FISC (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court) for the intercept, with the agent’s name… and the court’s information. I think it was three or four pages of text. They wouldn’t let met me copy them. They let me take notes in regards to technical aspects of what they wanted to do.

We had to facilitate them to set up a duplicate port to tap in to monitor that customer’s traffic. It was a 2U (two-unit) PC that we ran a mirrored ethernet port to.
    Note that this isn't in the broader categories of wholesale monitoring, no sign of any arrests or prosecution resulting from it either. Worth a read.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    nsa andor their forerunner has listened to all calls since WW2

at one time circa ww2 era they had ATT route all traffic offshore
    so they could tap in outside the usa to get around the law
    that stopped they from tapping phones in the usa

---

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I'm sure in the end we'll see many of these players, including MS, having taken a more duplicitous role in all this.
    After all, the NSA didn't start all this one day out of the blue, I'm quite certain it preceded 9/11 by many years.