Thanks

Desktop Computer Hardware Components: Should we be worried?

Desktop Computer System PC Hardware Component Predictions are discussed at the following link. Food for thought?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/157/desk...t-predictions/

I, personally, still think the Desktop PC will be around for many years, even if graphics capability, sound capability and Solid State Drives are integrated into motherboards and Optical discs become obsolete.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

Interesting article, Thanks!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Peter!

I at least want to believe there will be for a long to come many of us who will want the desktop for either gaming or high end, a/v workstations. Full sized keyboards and monitors are nice, too. What I observe is that it's not only computer/electronics that are getting scarce in store fronts, but many other things as well. I feel we are definitely in the age of online shopping for all sorts of things.

What seems to me to want to throw a wrench into the works is the way OS's are going, what with Windows 8 touchscreen approach. But I have found my workaround for that until I am ready to upgrade past 7 -- a built in touchpad on the keyboard. That'll get me used to navigating that kind of environment.

What I do see as a potential game changer though is if that Thunderbolt technology ever takes root. Then everyone could have "outside the box" access to warp speed processing and such.

Thanks
    I feel we are definitely in the age of online shopping for all sorts of things.
    While I have bought hardware components on line on occasion, I prefer brick and mortar for most purchases. I get most of my stuff from the local Microcenter. The salesmen there are very knowledgeable and the return policy is very liberal in case something goes wrong. No need to fuss with RMAs or packing up the componant and shipping it back. Their prices are often better than online sources and when they're not, its worth the extra money for me for the above reasons and the chance to fondle the part before I buy it.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    While I have bought hardware components on line on occasion, I prefer brick and mortar for most purchases. I get most of my stuff from the local Microcenter. The salesmen there are very knowledgeable and the return policy is very liberal in case something goes wrong. No need to fuss with RMAs or packing up the componant and shipping it back. Their prices are often better than online sources and when they're not, its worth the extra money for me for the above reasons and the chance to fondle the part before I buy it.

Jerry
    I hear you, Jerry... I'm just kind of "chicken-winged" because I don't get that kind of availability out here for many, many things.

Thanks
    A brick and mortar store is nice to go to in a pinch, but I find in many cases the prices are too high and the selection is too limited.

It seems that everybody and their dog wants to get on board with the latest MEDIA HYPE about market predictions.
    Just because most of the lay public is going mobile with their cell phones and iPods doesn't mean the desktop is doomed.
    All it means is THESE people aren't buying desktops at the rate they previously were.
    Which would lead me to question weather they really needed a full desktop computer in the first place.
    Those that do are just holding onto them for a little longer, or bypassing manufacturers like Dell and building their own systems.
    There are an awful lot of people out there that actually do build their own systems.

Scientists, engineers, and other power oriented computer users didn't suddenly drop off the planet.
    They still have their own needs for a potent systems and that is NEVER going to change.
    We're at the point right now, with the right know how, one could build his/her own supercomputer.

On another note too;
    The industry has been laying down standards for years now, the only trouble with that is, if decent change is coming, one would
    have to break standards and start retooling almost everything. It's coming just as surely as change itself happens.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-07-25 at 16:41.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I for one will always be a desktop user/builder, no if and's or but's about it. Now, should the need arise for me to jump on the band wagon for the latest mobile gadget that doesn't cost and arm and a leg to buy I'll get one, until then I'll continue to use my desktop and laptop.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post

Which would lead me to question weather they really needed a full desktop computer in the first place.
    Those that do are just holding onto them for a little longer, or bypassing manufacturers like Dell and building their own systems.
    There are an awful lot of people out there that actually do build their own systems.

Scientists, engineers, and other power oriented computer users didn't suddenly drop off the planet.
    They still have their own needs for a potent systems and that is NEVER going to change.
    We're at the point right now, with the right know how, one could build his/her own supercomputer.
    I know that I have to build my own to get what I want/need.

Thanks
    Here's what will make the desktop disappear: when they come up with a "smart pad" or "smart phone" which is powerful enough, and which can be snapped into a docking station at the user's desk, giving him a monitor/mouse/keyboard/printer/USB Ports/etc., and which can be disconnected from the docking station and carried about; and in which cloud connectivity is optional, not required.

Having all of the desktop power built into or connected to the docking station will make people comfortable with moving from traditional desktop computers to "smart pads" or "smart phones".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And that's Thunderbolt technology, more or less. My MSI motherboard even features such a port.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jim,

Right on! My wife move there a year ago albeit with only an ultra book but just disconnect 4 cords (power, RJ-45, Monitor, USB Hub) and she's mobile. I still go through the syncing of files since I can't give up my dual monitors, CD/DVD drive, etc.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The dichotomy of computing. It's either complete overkill or never enough for monstrously CPU and GPU hungry tasks. Components come and go based on technological improvements, cost, efficiency and form factor convenience.
    A quantum leap in efficiency might eliminate the desktop form factor but as of now, though it has improved, high end components need the room for heat displacement and active cooling.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jim,

Right on! My wife move there a year ago albeit with only an ultra book but just disconnect 4 cords (power, RJ-45, Monitor, USB Hub) and she's mobile. I still go through the syncing of files since I can't give up my dual monitors, CD/DVD drive, etc.
    If EVERYTHING you want in a desktop could be put into a docking station (that is, whatever won't fit into the smart pad) -- including your dual video card, and if it was extremely easy to connect/disconnect and switch between desktop and mobile, then even you (and maybe even me) would consider making the leap into the brave new world.

In other words, you would have all that you need for mobile operations built into the smart pad; and all of the additional stuff you need for a good desktop experience built into (or connectable to) your docking station.