Lounger
    Thanks

Question Just installed a new video card but now....

It's not working. The CD that came with it doesn't even recognize my new PCI card. It's a DVI, and I have a DVI dual to VGA piece where it can turn the DVI output into VGA. Problem is, in my Windows 7 Device Manager, under OTHER DEVICES? My PCI Serial Port has a yellow question mark next to it. I learned from Windows XP that this means there's a problem with my component. Hence my new card won't work until my PCI Serial Port is straightened out. I've tried to click on it and update it, but when I do that, Windows 7 says UPDATING...and then it says DEVICE did not update successfully. So it seems this is something I can't do through Windows update, or something Windows update won't do itself. Anyone else had this issue?

My pc is a Gateway e4610 small form desktop...

Gateway E-4610S SB Desktop
    Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR2, 70GB HDD, CD-ROM/DVD-Rom.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Magik,

You don't state if this is a replacement card or if you are upgrading from integrated video. If you are upgrading from integrated video have you turned it off in the BIOS? Also you should use either the drivers from the CD that came with the card or directly from the manufactures website, don't use Windows Update for driver updates as it seems to cause more problems that it solves. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    A non-loading Serial interface should not block a graphics card from installing. It may be indicative of the main motherboard chipset drivers needing to be installed though - that could block graphics card detection.

Another possibility, given that this is a SFF and Gateway don't have a great rep. when it comes to the PSU quality/capacity supplied, is that the graphics card simply isn't being powered up; what exactly does the main label on the PSU state for the power outputs? What is the exact model of the graphics card?

Thanks
    What is the make and model of the card you've installed?

Look updated drivers for both the motherboard and GPU card directly from the respective manufacturer's sites.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-07-17 at 12:30.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Silly question; after you installed the GPU, did you make the required power cable connection to the GPU?

Lounger
    Thanks
    The video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4550 1GB DDR2 PCI-Express 2.0 x16 DVI+HDMI Single Slot Low Profile Video Graphics Card. This card doesn't need an external power source. It's new. I think my PCie port is the problem. It has a question mark next to it on Device Manager, and Windows 7 tells me there's a problem with the port, hence the question mark. The message under properties says....

The drivers for this device are not installed.

I tried to get the OS to automatically find the drivers for me as requested, it says Windows could not find drivers. And I am not sure if I need the Windows 7 drivers for this, or the Gateway e4610 drivers for this. I also tried to install a driver called the AMT "something". But it kept saying system doesn't meet minimum requirements yada yada.
    Last edited by Magik; 2013-07-17 at 13:04.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Gateway e4610 chipset drivers for Win 7 OS.

Thanks
    The chipset is Intel, a visit to their Support site and running their Driver Update Utility should enable you to get patched up and begin the graphics card install: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx

EDIT: the TDP of the HD 4550 is said to be just 25W, most SFF builds should be able to power it providing the PSU is still close to original spec.
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-07-17 at 13:20.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2013-07-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems I need the intel AMT driver. I have tried to download this before but it keeps saying my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements. The versions I've found are packaged together win764/win8/win vista.

Thanks
    In that case, it could be that your hardware or current BIOS version, doesn't support it. Can you check Gateway's Support downloads area for your machine and check whether your BIOS is the latest version?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    AMT seems to be a management protocol of a particular flavor (remote management and security). Seems like its one layer above system drivers and should not impact the installation of those basic system drivers.