5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New protocols and devices for blazing Wi-Fi, USB

BEST HARDWARE

New protocols and devices for blazing Wi-Fi, USB

By Michael Lasky

The latest Wi-Fi protocol 802.11ac is slowly rolling out; I take the TRENDnet AC 1750 Dual Band Wireless Router for a spin. Plus, three other devices to that can speed your work or keep you safe from viruses and laptop heat.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-hardware/new-protocols-and-devices-for-blazing-wi-fi-usb/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Michael

It was interesting to read about Satechi's 7 Port USB 3.0 Premium Aluminum Hub as I have had quite a few problems with USB 3.0 powered hubs - specifically Icy Box 4 Port units - initially a couple of years ago Icy Box was the ONLY USB 3.0 unit I could find. Icy Box appear, on the surface at least, to be really well built and are very nice to look at BUT they have proved to be extremely unreliable - all three of them!

All (3 - I must be a sucker for punishment?) are now 'ornaments' and I now have a 7 port USB 3.0 hub by Anker which I could not be more happy with.

I only discovered Anker (http://www.ianker.com/) about 4 months ago and now have several devices made by them including a USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD with USB 3.0 Cable and eSATA Cable and UASP support (Chipsets: ASM1051+ASM1453) which is simply brilliant.

Anker's after sales follow up service has been second to none!

PC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm interested in the AC Router. Were the ranges and speeds you posted through your built-in N card or through the AC adapter? I'm not looking to upgrade numerous PCs to have AC adapters, but extending and improving their existing N connections would be great.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The article also mentions a "Fix Me" stick which permits several Anti-Virus/Anti malware programs to reside on the stick and thus become a set of tools to easily carry around. I think there is an even better, and free alternative out there. It is a program called YUMI. The program is free and it allows the user to create a whole set of "live-CD" tools on a single bootable thumb drive. The details are on the web page http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mu...t-usb-creator/ I have downloaded and used the program to put together a veritable Swiss army knife of repair and recovery tools all on a single 8GB usb drive. Many of the anti-virus tools, recovery tools, and other well known tools such as Hiren's Boot CD are all able to be added to your YUMI thumb drive. In a nutshell, make your own ultimate boot thumb drive and never leave home without it. Did I mention it is totally free for personal use!

Thanks
    I would also like to suggest this router from Asus as it does SMOKE EM !

http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTAC66U

Set up was a breeze as stated .
    Last edited by dbailey18; 2013-07-18 at 13:21. Reason: More Info