2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

FileSystemObject and File.Type property Text Document problem

Hi all,

I've written a macro which uses the FileSystemObject and the File Object. Specifically I am checking the File.Type property to see if the file is a text document. According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.60).aspx this property should have the value "Text Document" if the file is a text file (*.txt).

This works in 99% of cases, but I have a curious case within my company where on 2 people's machines, the property has the value "TXT File" rather than "Text Document". The files on everyone's machines are the same (copies distributed automatically via a network login script), the code is the same etc., the OS is the same (Windows 7 Pro), so I'm struggling to think of what could be different on these two machines!

Any help appreciated!

Dominic

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ok I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the file associations with installed applications. So if an installed application is associated to a file type, then the file information returned by the FSO will come from the installed application.

I should explicitly check the file extension rather than relying on the file.type information!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can get the file extension using something along the lines of...
    fsoSysObj.GetExtensionName(strFilePath)
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia