New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 9, IE 10, and Chrome not recognised by bank's website

My banks website is in several languages and I access my account using English.
    For the past 6 months although part of my account works correctly one part, a translation of the original language into English does not work i.e. in this one part of the system the the Account number is greyed out and the Statement account box is blank. Changing to the original language (which I do not read) shows the account details correctly.
    So the problem appears to be that IE9 and IE 10 and Chrome have problems decoding or reading a translation.
    With the Banks technical support I have changed compatibility settings,reloaded IE downgraded to IE8 and their website countless times without success.

The alternate error messages below appears in all Browsers, which is illogical and neither allows the Hebrew/English translation to appear.
    Accessing the website using Chrome auto translation shows the desired detail's but its a long way round to work
    The Banks support insist its my computer at fault so is it?
    Advice gladly welcome.

CapabilitiesBrowserTest failed! Description: undefined
    Operating SystemWindows 2000Screen Resolution1280 x 720 pixels Color-Depth:
    32Java-Script EnabledYes
    VB-Script EnabledNo
    Java-Script EngineBrowser does not support this function
    VB-Script EngineTest failed! Description: undefined
    CSS EnabledYesCookies EnabledYesJava EnabledYesXML
    Dom InstalledNo
    XMLHttp InstalledYes
    Scripting LibraryLibrary not installed.
    Active Data Objects InstalledNo
    Browser Languageundefined

System Capabilities
    Browser Microsoft Internet Explorer 10.0
    Operating System Windows NT 6.1
    Screen Resolution 1280 x 720 pixels Color-Depth: 32
    Java-Script Enabled Yes
    VB-Script Enabled Yes
    Java-Script Engine JScript Version 10.0.16635
    VB-Script Engine VBScript Version 5.8.16521
    CSS Enabled No Yes
    Cookies Enabled Yes
    Java Enabled Yes
    XML Dom Installed Yes
    XMLHttp Installed Yes
    Scripting Library Scripting Library installed
    Active Data Objects Installed Yes
    Browser Language en-US
    System Language en-GB

System Languageundefined

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Check your browsers for any plugins or addon's and disable all of them and recheck. Then check your system for mlaware/spyware, which could be hijacking your browsers.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    It doesn't seem like it is your browser's "inability" to "read a translation" that is causing it. It seems that the bank's website is relying on some feature that your browsers are not supporting, maybe due to a configuration issue. I think the bank's tech support should be able to tell you what are the requirements for your browser to be able to use their web site in your language of choice.

On Chrome, it seems you have scripting support disabled, which may or may not contribute to the situation, since IE 10 seems to be configured to support it and it still doesn't work.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    This may not help your current situation, but I would recommend that you turn off Java in your browser. It makes your browser more vulnerable to hacking -- this is especially important when doing online banking. But the problem is that your bank may require Java in the browser in order for online access to work.

Another possibility: I'm not sure if this is causing the problem, but I noticed that you are running Windows 2000. Windows 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft; hence, they aren't releasing up-to-date security patches. Also, it's difficult to find effective, up-to-date antivirus / antimalware software for Windows 2000. So not only is Windows 2000 a security risk for online banking, but also there may be some needed functionality which Windows 2000 doesn't provide. You should consider upgrading to XP service pack 3 at a minimum, if not something newer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Another possibility: I'm not sure if this is causing the problem, but I noticed that you are running Windows 2000. Windows 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft; hence, they aren't releasing up-to-date security patches. Also, it's difficult to find effective, up-to-date antivirus / antimalware software for Windows 2000. So not only is Windows 2000 a security risk for online banking, but also there may be some needed functionality which Windows 2000 doesn't provide. You should consider upgrading to XP service pack 3 at a minimum, if not something newer.
    I think he must be using Windows 7. IE 9 and 10 wouldn't work on Windows 2000 which would be stuck with IE6.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I think he must be using Windows 7. IE 9 and 10 wouldn't work on Windows 2000 which would be stuck with IE6.

Bruce
    You're right about the 2nd listing (NT 6.1). However, the 1st listing says Windows 2000.

I wonder if he's running some sort of virtual machine inside of Windows 7, with Windows 2000 as the OS. That would explain the modern versions of IE -- it's running outside of the VM, but in Windows 7.

However, if he's running a VM with Windows 2000, perhaps he has an old browser in the VM, which may in fact explain why he is having this problem.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-07-19 at 17:55.