2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd Signal in IE9 etc

Hello again, colleagues all. I have a recent history of inadvertently loading IE10, which raised all sorts of issues. I was able to revert to IE9. However, a rather odd behaviour has manifested itself on which I would appreciate some advice from all you clever people out there. When clicking on links, IE9 will refuse to respond. On occasions, the little hand pointing to the link field (has it got a name) is superimposed by a tiny red exclamation mark. However, when I try to hover or click on it to find out what it means it simply disappears. Some of the links are to pop-ups, others are to web pages. The behaviour is inconsistent, as it does work occasionally. For instance, when Googling, it will either bring up the page in the results list, or it will not. Also, I am webmaster for a branch of U3A, on a site hosted by Squarespace. Not all of the features in the template I use seem to be available. I do not have any problems with Firefox. (in fact, when I could not bring up the login page for a bank, the advice I got from a techie there was to dumpe IE9 and just use Firefox. Any ideas, anyone - anyone???

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you running any security software which analyzes links to give you a hint about sites not to visit?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it could be Google Toolbar's Pop-up Blocker. If holding the Ctrl key down while clicking the link works in those situations, then it probably is.

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem did lie with the Google toolbar, Bruce. I disabled the Popup Blocker and everything returned to normal, so many thanks for that. I assume that the little icon that appears when I hover over a link is indicating that the blocker is operating. In reply to your query, Joe, I do indeed run some software which prompts me to confirm that I wish to visit any unusual site. it also checks to see what passwords I am using and if I use the same password on more than one site, asks me to confirm the site, in case I entered the wrong password. From memory it is called Trusteer Rapport.

As always, I get the best advice from this site. Woody must have a real knack for attracting clever people, so thanks again.

Jim.

Thanks
    Check your add/remove programs list to see if IE 10 is listed there among the Windows updates.

I also inadvertently installed IE 10. To remove it, I unchecked it in the list of Windows components. But after doing that, I had NO browsing ability.

I then found IE 10 listed with the Windows updates, so I uninstalled it from that list as well.

After doing both, I was able to browse using IE 9.