Thread: windows 8

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy windows 8

HI All,

has anyone successfully upgraded from windows xp to windows 8 ?

Thanks
    You cannot upgrade from XP to Win 8. You must do a Custom (Clean) install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you pursue the Windows 8 installation be sure to backup your current system first. Make sure that Windows 8 drivers are available for all your devices including built-in devices such as motherboard, NIC & sound. Windows 8 may contain drivers for some or all of your devices but the drivers supplied with the OS are almost always very basic. They are just enough to get the device running properly but may not take advantage of all the features available.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    You cannot upgrade from XP to Win 8. You must do a Custom (Clean) install.
    hi, I am aware of that,I want to speak to someone who has upgraded.thnx

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi joe I am aware of this I just want to speak to anyone who has upgraded.thnx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The answer is yes. There are people here that have upgraded from XP to Win8. They may chime in. Do you have a specific question beyond "has someone done this"?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    yep after the upgrade everthing seems fine,but when the P C reboots,it just keeps trying to reboot and never completes.

Thanks
    I went from Windows XP to Windows 8. I did a clean install, meaning that nothing whatsoever was preserved from the previous install. I had no problems whatsoever.

I suppose you could call that an upgrade. But probably not, because (1) I didn't preserve anything from the previous install, and (2) I didn't install a discounted "upgrade" version.

If you do a clean install, you will likely eliminate the problem you are having.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jim,

did you completely wipe your hard drive ? and did you purchase the windows 8 DVD ?

Thanks
    You can format the HD as part of the installation. This still preserves that fact that a qualifying OS was installed, but completely wipes out the qualifying OS. After choosing Custom Install, on the next screen choose Advanced (Disk) Options, then select the OS where the qualifying OS is installed and choose Format. After the format completes the installation will continue. This, as Jim does state, gives the most pristine and trouble free installation IMO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by focu View Post
    Hi Jim,

did you completely wipe your hard drive ? and did you purchase the windows 8 DVD ?
    I have Windows 8-32 bit Pro. It is not an upgrade version, so it didn't need to verify that I had a previous version of Windows. I purchased it.

Yes, I completely wiped my hard drive. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with it. I'm running it on a 32-bit computer that originally came with Vista.

One thing that I discovered very quickly: I didn't like to be without the Windows 7 style start button / start menu. Being without those things is like having to do a lot of typing with only one hand. I therefore installed StartIsBack, which gave me the start button / start menu. Since doing that, I thoroughly like Windows 8. I would never go back to Windows 7.

I believe you installed it as an upgrade, that is, to preserve everything possible from your XP install. My guess is that, in Windows' effort to preserve stuff, something didn't get set correctly for Windows 8. However, if you do a "wipe the drive" clean install, there won't be anything to preserve, and so in the install process, everything will be set fresh and new (i.e. correctly); nothing will be assumed or preserved (i.e. nothing will be incorrect for the new install).

As I have previously stated, about the only reason I would do an upgrade rather than a clean install is if there was software installed on the machine that I would not be able to reinstall into Windows 8 because I was unable to locate the original disks. If you can't find the install disks (or download the programs), then you are forced to upgrade what you have rather than do a clean install. But those cases are very rare.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-07-19 at 11:45.

Thanks
    FWIW, there is no "upgrade" path from XP to Windows 8; too many incompatibilities. When "upgrade" is chosen, the old XP installation is rolled up into a Windows.old folder. That folder can be opened from within Windows 8 after installation is complete to retrieve any files, etc. from the XP installation.

No programs or settings are preserved from XP.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows