New Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird not displaying all images

Hi everybody.

Has anyone else had a problem with Thunderbird (v. 17.0.7) not displaying all images in emails? For example, I received an email from Amazon for an order confirmation. The header 'Amazon' image is displayed, but the 'Track you Packages' image is not (the link still works). In my latest Windows Secrets newsletter, the header section displayed properly, the small images in the 'Help people find this article in the web' under all the articles displayed properly, but things like Woody's image next to the 'RIP TechNet' article, the figures in the article about the new 802.11ac protocol do not display. Yet there are still emails I get from other senders that display all the images, such as one I got from bodybuilding.com today that has all images displayed. I have always seen all the images in the emails before, once I allowed the images to be displayed. I've tried disabling the extensions I have (only folderpane tools, lightning and .vcs support) but still have the non-displaying images problem.

So what simple thing am I missing? ;-) Do extensions in Firefox also work in Thunderbird (e.g. could something in AdBlock be stopping images in Thunderbird?)?

Thanks!

Frank

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Under "Help" there is an option to restart without Add-ons. That will let you know if it is an Add-on causing the problem.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

unkfrank (2013-08-08)

Thanks
    The two reasons I have listed below are possible causes for this problem:

1. The images that don't display don't have drivers installed in your browser or on your computer.
    2. There is a breakdown in communication somewhere along the line, causing the images not to be transmitted all the way to your browser.

It is possible that the place you got the email from was linking to the images, and they had a breakdown in communications at the time the email went out, causing the images to not be bundled with the email.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

unkfrank (2013-08-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    RussB, I tried restarting Thunderbird with the add-ons disabled and nothing changed as far as the emails I referred to in my original question. So I guess any T-Bird add-ons can be eliminated from causing the problem.

mrjimphelps, I'm not sure what you might mean by your first reason. I can display images just fine, and there are (for example) .JPGs that appear in one email, but a JPG doesn't appear in another.

One thing I have found is this:
    Referring to the most recent Windows Secret newsletter, this has some images displayed, and some that don't. Looking at the message source, I found the URL for one of the images that displays:
    http://download.windowssecrets.com/i...ogram-Logo.gif

And here is the URL of an image that doesn't display:
    https://windowssecrets.com/wp-conten..._4-100x100.jpg (sorry, Woody ;-) )

I haven't gone line by line, but it looks like most of the images that aren't displaying all have a secure URL, starting with "https:", as the following image also doesn't display:
    https://windowssecrets.com/wp-conten...l2125x1252.jpg

Am I missing a setting that allows secure and non-secure images (at least) to all be displayed in an individual email?

Frank

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As a followup... for reasons unknown to me so far, the images are now being displayed. This happened before the latest auto-update of Thunderbird, so I don't know what caused it. Thank you to RussB and mrjimphelps for taking the time to try and help me.