New Lounger
    Thanks

New Dell Inspiron desktop computer workmanship

I am noticing that these new towers have no heatsinks on the Southbridge chip
    Both Dell and Intel swear that a heatsink is not necessary
    Yet the chip is too hot too touch
    I had a customer with failed MB on a 13 month old Inspiron
    Kind of makes me wonder

Thanks
    I wouldn't want a computer like that.

Some of the new computers are nothing more than laptops in a desktop case.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave the computer guy View Post
    I am noticing that these new towers have no heatsinks on the Southbridge chip
    Both Dell and Intel swear that a heatsink is not necessary
    Yet the chip is too hot too touch
    I had a customer with failed MB on a 13 month old Inspiron
    Kind of makes me wonder
    They are doing this to cut costs across the board. Every retail PC I've looked into and brand doesn't matter, seems to be taking this approach. Honestly, If I were going to buy a retail PC it would be a laptop and not a tower....because of the low quality and low end components they're using, which leaves you no room for physical upgrades.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    They are doing this to cut costs across the board. Every retail PC I've looked into and brand doesn't matter, seems to be taking this approach. Honestly, If I were going to buy a retail PC it would be a laptop and not a tower....because of the low quality and low end components they're using, which leaves you no room for physical upgrades.
    You could go to www.walmart.com and get a refurbished PC. There are some really good deals there.

You get free site-to-store shipping, and if it's bad, just return it to your local Walmart.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    You could go to www.walmart.com and get a refurbished PC. There are some really good deals there.

You get free site-to-store shipping, and if it's bad, just return it to your local Walmart.
    I'm not looking to buy...I build my own systems.

I was merely stating the fact that those companies are use cheap low grade parts and for the same price with little to no chance of upgrading any of the components. For $500 retail PC, I could build one for that price that would be 3 times better and be able to upgrade any components in the future.

Thanks
    That's exactly the kind of shoddy practice that drove me to start building my own systems.

Having to put a sink on a chip that has no means of securing it in place is no fun either.

It'll depend on the board too, most southbridge chips don't tend to run nearly as hot as northbridges do.
    I've had boards where the southbridge chip did get really hot, even with a sink on it, I've had to install a fan too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Having to put a sink on a chip that has no means of securing it in place is no fun either
    I ran into that as well...I found this at my local BestBuy for $14.99. Works great, has 3 speeds, flexable arm and screws right into mobo standout. Just bend and aim to your desired spot that you want to air cool.

http://store.antec.com/Product/cooli...5-75018-9.aspx

Thanks
    Apparently a lot of them have no heatsinks and they don't need them. The soldering process puts them up to over 300 degrees according to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4PPAfOvhTk

If you can get close enough to touch it, you could add a heat sink for about $5:
    http://www.xsfans.com/index.php?main...FUyZ4AodSAQAmw

SBheatsink.jpg

The heat sink above comes with an adhesive thermal pad if you have the room for it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When the PC is new, the hot chip has no problem. There is enough air flow and cooling. When dust starts to accumulate, the efficiency lowers, heat failure could occur.
    Solution: add heat sink and/or small fan on the hot chip yourself. A few dollars go a long way.
    Tell the customer. Let it be the customer's call. The removable addition should not void the warranty.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find this thread quite worrying as my PC is nearing the end of its life, and I lack both the technical expertise and nimble fingers to build my own.

What should I do? Surely there are some adequately equipped machines on the market.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    I find this thread quite worrying as my PC is nearing the end of its life, and I lack both the technical expertise and nimble fingers to build my own.

What should I do? Surely there are some adequately equipped machines on the market.
    Worry not before time is due. When you find yourself in need of going computer shopping, maybe check a couple available possibilities and post about it here. Even the Lounge moderators do that. You can then benefit from the collective knowledge and experience of our users.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post

For new computers, you can always find a good deal at officedepot.com. And the really nice thing is, if you have any problems, you can take it to your local Office Depot.

Do the research, and if you find a computer or two that you like, ask about them here. You'll get a lot of expert advice.

Thanks
    George,

I just purchased a Dell XPS 8700 from Cosco at what I considered an excellent price ($699 Online Only). You can see the specs in my signature below. The only real problem I have with this machine is the flimsy drive cage. I've still managed to install a SSD and the computer runs like a champ. Since I only open up the case to clean and when otherwise absolutely necessary this doesn't give me much pause. I also have less than desirable fine motor control. Speecy shows that the machine runs quite cool as configured.
    DellXPS8700GutsRS.jpg
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    In real money (sorry RG!), see here http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.ZWU&cad=rja, These range from £579 to £1200. These look good but are outside my price range!

Thanks
    At our charity we buy second-hand (three/four years old) Dell Optiplexes for around £200, sometimes adding some memory or upping the disk space to at least 160 GB. I even got a couple of fast quad-core boxes for about £225!

There should be a good enough supply of decent Optiplexes for a couple of years to come - then who knows?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...