Thread: Page File Size

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Page File Size

The option to change the page file size on my Win 7 partition is grayed out. How can I fix this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you unchecked the Auto manage box ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

royw (2014-09-13)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, thanks a lot. That solved the problem.

Regards, Roy
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When an option is greyed out, there's usually another option doing the job which needs to be disabled/unchecked for the one you want to become active.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You could let Windows manage the page file, it does a very good job.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Once when I was checking mine, it suggested a recommended max of 11680MB for the 8GB of RAM I have installed instead of the default 7870, so I've set it up as that.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-09-14 at 03:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You could let Windows manage the page file, it does a very good job.

cheers, Paul
    That "very good job" is relative. I have 16GB RAM, and no page file in Windows 7. The page file size recommended by Windows is 22977MB. I've been running without a page file in Windows 7 since early 2010, and I've had no Windows problems whatsoever (other than those I've created myself, and a failing hard drive) in all that time. There is a dichotomy in no page file needed, and a 22.4GB page file "recommended".

This experience tells me that Windows 7 doesn't do all that good a job of managing the page file if one has an abundance of RAM. My guess is that the algorithm used for page file size management is grounded on a machine base RAM of 4GB, and for that amount, Windows probably does a decent job of managing the page file. Windows 8 probably does a better job (I dual boot both on this machine). The last time I looked, it was recommending a page file of 4080MB. That has a "seat of the pants" feel of being much more reasonable.

Windows 7 (just looking at my machine) is using the "~1.5 times installed RAM" rule of thumb in page file size, and Windows 8 is not. But with Windows 8, I use a fixed page file size of 4GB, and have the page file located on a different hard drive on its own dedicated partition.

But "managing" the page file seems rather useless to me. I don't see the logic behind changing the size of the page file on the fly. If Windows shrinks the page file size based on what's going on in the PC, what is the gain? The likelihood of enlarging the page file size looms large, so the disk space can't be considered as being "saved"; Windows is more than likely going to need that space soon to enlarge the page file again.

So letting Windows "manage" the page file, in my mind, only amounts to unnecessary drive thrashing and CPU cycles from time to time just to change the size of the page file. I see no point in that. I've been using a fixed page file since Windows 2000 Professional. With 2GB RAM, I made the page file 4GB, and had no issues. When I upgraded to 4GB RAM, I kept the page file size the same 4GB; still had no issues, even after upgrading to XP. With 64bit Windows 7 I upgraded to 16GB RAM. I decided to eliminate the page file, and see what happened. Nothing happened.

A couple of caveats. Windows says it needs the page file on the system drive in order to create a memory dump in case of some calamity. I use drive imaging for backup, and in case of calamity that I can't sort through on my own, I'll simply restore the latest drive image. The other caveat is that the only calamities I've ever had were due to failed or failing hardware, or my own tinkering with the OS.

YMMV
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows