Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    5 Star Lounger Maudibe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pa, USA
    Posts
    1,104
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 194 Times in 181 Posts

    Basic Math Problem?

    An instrument store gives a 10% discount to all students off the original cost of an instrument. During a “Back to school” sale, an additional 15% is taken off the discounted price. Julie, a student at the local high school, purchases a flute for $306. How much did it originally cost?

    Good luck,
    Maud

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
    $400

    Do I have to show my work, teacher?

  4. #3
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,094
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 239 Times in 232 Posts
    Or if one figures in 5% sales tax, $381 give or take a few pennies, but there are also a couple potential trick elements in the mix, like if the instrument was not purchased there or what original cost might actually mean.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-07-19 at 10:51.

  5. #4
    Silver Lounger mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanks
    202
    Thanked 206 Times in 198 Posts
    Not figuring in any tax, the original price was $345.76.

    Update -- should be $353.76.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-07-19 at 11:10. Reason: recalculated

  6. #5
    Silver Lounger mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanks
    202
    Thanked 206 Times in 198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Or if one figures in 5% sales tax, $381 give or take a few pennies, but there are also a couple potential trick elements in the mix, like if the instrument was not purchased there or what original cost might actually mean.
    My guess is that "original cost" means what the customer would have paid had there been no discounts.

  7. #6
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 108 Times in 102 Posts
    It's easy maths: $306 / 0.9 / 0.85 = $400. But surely it would, in reality, be priced at $399.99?!
    BATcher

    If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

  8. #7
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,094
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 239 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    My guess is that "original cost" means what the customer would have paid had there been no discounts.
    That's one interpretation, also might be what the instrument store paid for it or what the manufacturer cost to make was. I'm production-based so the latter is what original cost means to me, before the middlemen and retailer add to the original cost.

  9. #8
    Silver Lounger mrjimphelps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,137
    Thanks
    202
    Thanked 206 Times in 198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It's easy maths: $306 / 0.9 / 0.85 = $400. But surely it would, in reality, be priced at $399.99?!
    400 minus 10% (40) would be 360. Then 15% off of that (54) would be 360 minus 54 or 306.

    I have a minor in math, but this problem tripped me up!

  10. #9
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,094
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 239 Times in 232 Posts
    Ya, and just divide by the sales tax amount prior to the two discounts for extra credit.
    306/1.05/.85/.9=$380.95

  11. #10
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 108 Times in 102 Posts
    In the UK, although we have an iniquitous rate - 20% usually - of "Value Added Tax" (VAT), it is always included in the price for consumer purchases, so "the price you see is the price you pay" (haggling excepted).

    For electronic goods and software, there seems to be a special "$1 translates to £1" conversion rate, which is why the UK is often referred to by non-native computer and software manufacturers as "Treasure Island". I have no idea whether this conversion rate also applies to the cost of flutes...
    BATcher

    If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

  12. #11
    5 Star Lounger Maudibe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pa, USA
    Posts
    1,104
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 194 Times in 181 Posts
    This was an actual question given in a math class for education of immigrants to achieve a GED. The answer choices offered were:
    A. $325.00
    B. $375.00
    C. $400.00
    D. $408.00
    E. $425.00

    The most selected and also incorrect answer was $408.00 achieved by adding the 2 discounts (25%), calculating a discount of $102.00, then subtracting it from $408.00 which was a final price of $306.00.

  13. #12
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    La Jolla,CA
    Posts
    1,054
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
    A 10% discount OFF the original price leaves 90% ON the original price.
    If X is the original price, the first resulting price is 0.9X.

    Then, if 15% is OFF this discounted price, that leaves 85% ON the price.

    So, 0.85 x 0.9 x X = 306 (purchase).

    Then, X = 306/0.765 = $400 as the original price.

    Check it: $400 with a 10% discount = $360 ($40 off).
    Then, 360 with a 15% discount = $54 off the $360.
    So, 360 - 54 = $306.
    Last edited by kweaver; 2013-07-20 at 13:19.

  14. #13
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    195
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    For electronic goods and software, there seems to be a special "$1 translates to £1" conversion rate...
    When I was in London some years ago, the same seemed to apply to books, especially paperbacks. Whatever number the US publisher printed on the book, that was the number of pounds charged. The currency exchange rate at the time was about 1.75 to 1, plus the fee at the exchange kiosk.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •