2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Edit Registry to display new name

I.E. 10 displays a 'heading' when I open it; e.g. "Windows 8 Forum - Post New Thread - Spiderweb"
    I want to edit the registry entry to get rid of the word "Spiderweb" and replace it with one of my own choice. "Spiderweb" is an old ISP provider no longer associated with my laptop.
    I used to be able to edit the registry entry in XP but have forgotten how to do so now. Can anybody assist by advising how to enter the registry, find the entry and edit it please? I am running Windows 8.
    TX
    casso

Thanks
    Open regedit and do a search for "Spiderweb" (without the quotes).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-07-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you kind sir! I took a chance on 1 of 3 "hits" (Windows Title) and that worked fine. The other 2 hits had my home page address in them; am I correct in assuming I don't have to worry about those 2 entries? I replaced the word "spiderweb" with my name and that now appears at the top heading as I wanted.
    For other users:
    I did a search in "settings" for regedit and then tapped on the regedit.exe box that came up;
    This took me to the registry and I used "edit" - "find" to locate my word;
    This brought up a list of entries with my word in them and I was able to edit the appropriate entry.
    casso

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by casso View Post
    Thank you kind sir! I took a chance on 1 of 3 "hits" (Windows Title) and that worked fine. The other 2 hits had my home page address in them; am I correct in assuming I don't have to worry about those 2 entries?
    That's correct, "Windows Title" is the usual key name when IE is personalized by an ISP or corporate entity, and you don't need to bother with the other two.

The "Windows Title" key does not appear in the registry in a standard installation.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-07-19 at 19:37.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows