Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Restore downloaded emails?

Hi,

I installed a copy of Outlook 97 and asked it to auto-configure mail settings.

It did and worked fine.

However it downloaded over 30,000 emails (stretching many years) from my Yahoo! Inbox and DELETED THEM!!!

I needed those emails in my Yahoo inbox to search & follow up on things.

Please advise me ways of how to restore these!!!!

TIA

BJ.

Thanks
    You should be able to use yahoo's web mail and access them from there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Because of the option to 'Keep messages on server' being unticked, all of them were downloaded!

How can I re-upload them?

I was thinking of running some Rule that would email all of the Inbox back to Yahoo!

Problem with this is that all messages will be from me & not from originator. This is not a perfect solution, but at least I can search on the messages.

Please advise. TIA.

Thanks
    That's what I was afraid of...since you have that box unticked and once you delete them from the server, they're gone for good....for us anyway, they're gone for good.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The funny bit is the unticking was done by MSOffice auto-config, not by myself.

2010 is a bit smarter & does not do this.

Thanks
    Yes it is...I'm running MS Office 2010 as well...but truthfully, when I use an email client, I always go through the settings to make sure I leave my emails on my server so in case something does go wrong I have a way to retrieve them. I learned the hard way some years back. You could try contacting who ever is hosting your emails and see if they might be able to work some magic for you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like you still have all the e-mails on your computer. If not, you'll need a backup. If you don't have one, then you just learnt at depth why the first three rules of computing are Backup, Backup, Backup.

Presuming the e-mails are still on your computer. Obviously the first thing you need to do is a full reliable partition backup (not overwriting your old backup!), as incorrect resyncing could potentially wipe the local e-mails out.

I won't give you very specific advice other than to say that if you have the e-mails, resyncing is possible. I've done it with Hotmail and Windows Live Mail. I did it by creating Local mail 'folders' in Windows Live Mail, then drag-copying all the e-mails to subfolders I created there (e.g. 'Inbox'), then going online, then in the e-mail program dragging the e-mails from the local 'folders' to the live Hotmail Inbox.

I'm not familiar with Outlook 97 specifically, but you would be able to do the same sort of thing using it (again, if you have the e-mails on your computer.

By the way Outlook 97 is old, hasn't been security patched for years, and is hence insecure, a very bad thing for a program that accesses e-mail. If you want a secure system and e-mail client which will stay secure longer than next April, you'll need Windows 7 or 8. And Outlook/Office 2007 or later, unless you just want an e-mail program, in which case you'll need a currently supported one like Windows Live Mail.