Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Why truncated Yahoo emails?

For better or worse, richer or poorer I've been using at&t yahoo mail since 2004. And yahoo mail has played quite well with my previous desktop and now my new desktop with windows 8 (in service May, 2013)... it seems until recently. My browser of choice is Firefox with the latest version 22.0. Recently at&t updated yahoo mail and shoved it to me and I do not believe I had the problem before but now some of my incoming emails are truncated. Notably, the WinSec newsletter I presume because of it's length. Have never had the problem until recent weeks and cannot say exactly when it began. Any other lounger fitting the description of this problem or any lounger with advice to correct the problem I would appreciate commentary. Thanks!

Thanks
    I had the same problem back in the day whey I had dail up.....I just quit using AT&T and went with an email client, I think it was outlook express and that seemed to do the trick. Then like you've seen, yahoo forcing there so called new and improved email, that I just terminated my yahoo account all together. It could be just a glitch in the system with automated switch over....give it a few days and see if it clears up. If not then send a support ticket to AT&T/yahoo.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bassfisher6522 For This Useful Post:

Oldiesjock (2013-07-20)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have seen what you mean on various computers but some computers are ok
    I'm at my friends house right now and I checked my Yahoo account and the WindowsSecrets newsletter is fine on his XP computer
    I went into Mail Options & in the General tab the Plain Text font is Sans Serif 1, Small
    Check out what you have and see if an adjustment will work for you
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2013-07-22 at 08:33.

Thanks
    The problem when gauging recent changes in webmail is that they're often rolled out in phases, to relatively small groups of users; what's bugged in one roll-out may be fixed for the next group/phase, but not fixed for the original group until the phase after that. It's important to log any bugs with them for this reason.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2013-07-20)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did check the Plain Text font setting as suggested, cmptrgy. And it mirrors your setting. Thank you.

Thanks
    A lot of sites I visit only send enough data to display maybe 1 or 2 screens worth of information.

When you scroll down to the bottom of the currently displayed info a request is fired out to retrieve further content and obviously there is a delay there before the next lot is downloaded and displayed.

Have Yahoo implemented this for long emails?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Understood, satrow. I did think about "letting the baby sleep" for a while longer but this hassle surfaced a few weeks ago. I had a live chat session with at&t earlier today and the suggestions have been part of my browser settings for a long time. I'm not ready to do a suggested reinstall of FFox just yet and the idea of seeking a lounger solution or "letting the baby sleep" a little longer are the direction I'm going. Thank you.

Thanks
    You could try making a new Firefox profile; if it's seen a high number of upgraded FX versions, it becomes more likely to suffer with minor corruptions creeping in. Help > Troubleshooting information - upper right button > Reset Firefox. This route should retain your current settings, Bookmarks, passwords, etc. and is a simple and fast method to use for testing.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was interested in the comment about rolled out phases and Yahoo has been making changes recently
    So I tried to figure how Yahoo fits their email size to the screen and it isn't easy for me to do at this time
    Anyway on my friends pc on which I mention there isn't a problem on his XP computer his screen has a 19.1" diagonal size
    When my friend & I were visiting a friend of ours earlier I checked his pc and the very same WindowsSecrets newsletter did open truncated and it's monitor diagonal dimension is 17.1"
    --- I've seen variable results on other pc's but never took the screen size into consideration and now I'm beginning to wonder how Yahoo is fitting their email page onto our systems and maybe their rollout needs help
    --- BTW on the truncated one I checked out earlier, I was able to remove the ads on the right side of the computer screen and Yahoo email filled out the screen toward the right side and the truncation was gone
    ------ I don't recall how I got rid of the ads. I tried to duplicate it but I was unsuccessful
    Do you have a friend who has a wider screen than you have on which you can test the truncation results?

Thanks
    Not so much diagonal size in inches but pixels - 1920x1200, etc. Also applicable could be Desktop font sizing, default or 125% say. Most relevant here is probably web page zoom setting, and I came across an example of that - involving Yahoo mail - only a few days ago; try using Ctrl++/Ctrl-- and see if the output changes.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow, excellent points

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, fellow loungers. First a "thank you" to you that have offered suggestions about my truncated email situation. Since my last post I've discovered: (1) that the truncation occurs using either Firefox OR Internet Explorer. (It dawned on me to try IE as I seldom use it for anything and thus didn't think of that angle right away.) Also, I found the "print preview" function now shows only one page available to print using a multi-page email document for test purpose. Two, I went to Wikipedia to find a article with many pages. I found one on Hulk Hogan, 16 pages long. I sent it to my incoming email account and it truncated and indicated one page available to print in "print preview". I then used the same article viewing from the open tab in FF and checked "print preview" for that tab which showed all pages available for printing. So, that's where I'm at. I did discover a way to get my printer to recognize all pages in a email document and have the printer deliver the goods. But with "print preview" not working as it always has for these many years makes me wonder what has changed. And then there's still the email problem...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Can this be of help? http://webapps.stackexchange.com/que...-in-yahoo-mail

It suggests that long messages are always truncated, but you can access the full text using a "show full message" button.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another interesting article: That web site provided by ruirib includes the following information
    "This message has been truncated on the left hand side and a Show Full Message button on the right hand side. Clicking the button recovers the full message"
    Oldiesjock do you see this message on your computer?
    --- I didn't see it in my friends computer in which the WindowsSecrets newsletter doesn't have a truncation problem or in my other friends computer in which there is a runcation problem
    And on the full message information, in my friends computer in which the WindowsSecrets newsletter doesn't have a truncation problem Full Featured is checked in
    --- I don't know whether or not it was checked in on my other friends computer in which there is a truncation problem
    And I believe you are right, it doesn't matter whether or not you use FF or IE, I suspect it's a Yahoo setting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    --- I didn't see it in my friends computer in which the WindowsSecrets newsletter doesn't have a truncation problem or in my other friends computer in which there is a truncation problem
    For the latter friend, check the zoom page settings (Ctrl++/Ctrl--) as an overly zoomed page can hide the right-side controls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast