Thread: Ready Boost

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ready Boost

I have a 3.0 USB port. I have two flash drives that I am interested in testing. One is 2.0 the other3.0. I have put "Ready Boost" on both of them. I would like to run a test to see how fast the computer is with each of the flash drives in the port and of course how fast the computer is with no "Ready Boost".

Thanks
    If the computer is already fast, with a modern CPU, adequate RAM, and a modern hard 7,200 drive (and/or SSD/SSD caching), I suspect that you will be pressed very hard indeed to feel, or even measure, any real difference.

What are your full PC hardware specs?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a notebook with a slow CPU and though the RAM is at maximum it is not much. I knew it wasn't fast when I bought it. I would like to see if "Ready Boost" makes a difference.

Thanks
    Drive speed is the most important factor, assuming you have a 5,400rpm with say 8MB cache, there should be a small improvement in I/O, not sure that you'd 'feel' the difference though.

Run through some tests and let us know your findings.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your reply. As you will note from my original posting I don't know what tests to run. That is why I originally posted.

Thanks
    The biggest test is whether your normal usage feels significantly faster or of a higher quality - less waiting time to get distracted. Any artificial suites of tests are just that, even if they show an overall improvement of 8-10%, that really doesn't mean that you'd feel any such difference, if any, during your normal usage.

Some fairly recent clues and results here: http://eastwood.dk/ReadyBoost.aspx EDIT: note that the repetitions are almost certainly using SuperFetch, rather than ReadyBoost, confusing, eh?

FYI, I've had an interest in this area since way before Vista hit public Beta.
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-07-20 at 19:50.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is obvious that the tests are beyond my ability and that you have already answered my questions. I am going to forget Ready Boost it will have no noticable benefit for me. Thank you for the information and the result of the tests.

Thanks
    No worries, Miv; some things are not worth wasting time and energy on