Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Curious Error (A97 SR01 under W98)

I get the following error message and am stymied as to what to do with it. This is a single user data base, so I can't understand where it comes up with another user.

"The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

Any ideas?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Curious Error (A97 SR01 under W98)

"The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

This error can occur if you have 2 processes trying to change the same record at the same time. What locking did you specify for the database?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

Since this is a single user database I haven't set any locks. However, what happened was that while I was on vacation I had a friend maintaining the database on her computer. (I transferred the files to her computer.) She managed to create the error, and I don't know how. Anyway, I moved the data back to my computer, and I get the aforementioned error when working with one form.

I understand that it must be two processes accessing the same record, but how do I find out which processes? And when I find out, how do I cure the problem? I've tried running every query, form, and report in hopes that I'll run onto one of the "processes" that are causing the problem. However, everything runs and closes normally, so I have no clue where this problem is coming from.

P.S. I have found out that the problem is in the Memo field of the record. Presently it has #Error in the memo field. When I try to delete it I get a pop up that supposedly lete me save the record without changes, copy the changed info to the clipboard, or incorporate the changes. However, none of these options seem to work, i.e. nothing happens when I click on them.

Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck , the following is an excerpt from:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q182/8/67.ASP

Maybe this will help.

regards,
    Dan

Error Number 3197:
    Error message:
    The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.
    Cause/Problem:

This error typically occurs when a long value column (an OLE or MEMO data-type) has bad data stored in it. Long value columns are typically stored in a separate page from the page that the row is stored in. If a long value column is present in the table schema, the Jet database engine will attempt to read the long value page when reading the row of data. In order to read the long value page, there is a pointer in the row of data. This error is generated when the Jet database engine cannot properly read the long value page from the pointer present in the data row. When viewing a row that exhibits this behavior in Microsoft Access data-windows, the user will typically see the number sign (#) for the entire row.
    Error Number 3343
    Error message:
    Unrecognized database format 'databasename.mdb'.
    Cause/Problem:
    This is typically caused when the Jet database engine was improperly shut down during the process of writing to disk.
    Error Number 3015
    Error message:
    'databasename.mdb' isn't an index in this table. Look in the Indexes collection of the TableDef object to determine the valid index names.
    Cause/Problem:
    This error message is typically caused when there is an index missing on the MSysObjects table. This is typically caused if the repair process is aborted.
    RESOLUTION
    The Microsoft Jet database engine version 3.51 has an enhanced compact process designed to remedy the problems (if possible) described in the "More Information" section. The improved compact process now assumes all the functionality of the repair process, and therefore it is no longer recommended that you use the Jet database engine repair process.

NOTE: The Microsoft Jet database engine version 3.51 update is designed for Microsoft Access 97. You can run the compact utility on a database created in an earlier version of Microsoft Access; however, running the compact utility, "JETCOMP.exe", requires that Microsoft Access 97 be installed on your computer.

For more information about downloading the Jet database engine 3.51, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q172733 ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dan,

I think you've come up with a partial answer in that I believe that the pointer in the memo field can't be resolved by Access. (It displays #Error in the memo field.) However, it won't let me delete it because it thinks another user is in the process of changing the field. I've tried both repairing and compressing the data, but it hasn't helped. However, I don't know which version of the Jet Engine I am running. How does one determine the version anyway? "Help" only states that I'm running Access 97 SR-1.

Thanks for your help.

Lounger
    Thanks

Go to your code window and click Tools>References and look for the Microsoft DAO libraries and see which numbers are available.

Dan

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What is the cause of the error? Does it occur when you click a "save" button, when you move off a record, when you close a form, or where? Can you reliably duplicate the error? When your friend "maintained" the database, exactly what did she do? Maintain data or code?
    Mark Liquorman

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The references window has "Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.51 Compatibility Library" checked. It also has a box labled "Microsoft DAO 3.51Object Library", but that one is unchecked.

Lounger
    Thanks

Try opening the file on a different machine.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know the cause. If I did I might be able to fix it. When I open a form and go to the record with the error it immediatly pops up with the error described in my original post. The error occurs on the same record every time and in the same way. As I noted in a reply to Dan's post, both in the Form and Table views it shows up in a memo field as #Error. I have tried it on two different computers with exactly the same results. When in the Table view the error message doesn't pop up until I tab into the memo field where it is displaying #Error.

My friend maintained only data, as I had turned off all access to the code. Based on some information that Dan posted, I can only guess that she may have been updating the memo field of that record when she had a power failure or some other glitch before saving the record, and that left Access in a mode where it assumes that someone is still modifying the record.

As I said before, I have executed the repair and compress functions with no change. So I'm really stuck here.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>I don't know the cause. If I did I might be able to fix it. <<

Actually, I was referring to the place where the error occurred, not the actual cause itself. Like was it happening when the record was saved, etc.

From what you've described, however, it does appear that you have some sort of database corruption. You might want to use JetComp to repair the database. This sometimes will fix problems the internal repair function won't. And/or you might try creating a new database and importing everything into it. As a last resort, you may have to just delete the offending record and re-enter it.
    Mark Liquorman

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions. How does one get and use JetComp? Is that available in the standard Access97 package?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

you wrote:
    >>How does one get and use JetComp? Is that available in the standard Access97 package?<<

You can get it at the microsoft website. I think it will be at http:////search.support.microsoft.com.
    Mark Liquorman

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark,

I actually used your suggestion to delet and re-enter the record, but I'll look up JetComp for use in the future. It sure was a nasty problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's also one of the best arguments for avoiding memo fields wherever possible, since they're most likely to be associated with this kind of corruption.
    Charlotte

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast