New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't remove Yellowmoxie

Yellowmoxie has captured the "Search or enter address" window in Firefox (version 22 on Win 7 SP1).

I've tried several anti-malware programs including Windows Defender Offline and tried editing about:config but it persists. Any ideas?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    See if the manual removal instructios here help:
    http://www.safebro.com/yellowmoxie-popup-virus-removal

Ignore the Myturbopc.com automatic malware removal tool link on that page.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Thanks for this suggestion but no success there. I did find a way to get rid of the problem like this:

Start Firefox in Safe Mode - Yellowmoxie still captured the window
    Reset Firefox - this cleared just about everything - so it is a big step. But yellowmoxie went away.
    Use Firefox sync to pair this computer, restoring all the settings from a clean machine - back in business

Incidentally, following your suggestions, I found yellowmoxie to be well-hidden.

Progam not listed in Add/Remove
    Does not show up as an extension or plugin in Firefox 22.0
    None of the registry entries were obviously dirty

Iram

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iweinstein View Post
    Yellowmoxie has captured the "Search or enter address" window in Firefox (version 22 on Win 7 SP1).

I've tried several anti-malware programs including Windows Defender Offline and tried editing about:config but it persists. Any ideas?
    iweinstein,

Hello... As a first try what i would do (The Easiest) Is "Roll Back" to a previous version of Firefox ... Download Firefox and install any of the old versions ... This will hopefully get rid of the problem... you can then install the new version ... make sure that you check the Tools> Options>Advanced> Update> Tab in Firefox and set not to download and update without your OK ...If this does not work post back for then ext step... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iweinstein View Post
    Jerry,

Thanks for this suggestion but no success there. I did find a way to get rid of the problem like this:

Start Firefox in Safe Mode - Yellowmoxie still captured the window
    Reset Firefox - this cleared just about everything - so it is a big step. But yellowmoxie went away.
    Use Firefox sync to pair this computer, restoring all the settings from a clean machine - back in business

Incidentally, following your suggestions, I found yellowmoxie to be well-hidden.

Progam not listed in Add/Remove
    Does not show up as an extension or plugin in Firefox 22.0
    None of the registry entries were obviously dirty

Iram
    Nice work. Sorry my suggestions didn't help but I'm happy to hear you were able to resolve it yourself.

Jerry

Thanks
    If this issue is not resolved by Just Plain Fred's advice, try using RevoUninstaller to completely remove all traces of Firefox. Use Level Four in the Free Edition and let it remove EVERYTHING it finds. This will ensure that Registry, cache, database and Profile traces are truly gone. Itwill also remove all your personalizations and history, bookmarks, etc. from Firefox.

Then clean up further (after a reboot) with CCleaner's Registry and Cleaner modules. Next, download and install fresh the current version of Firefox.

If you had used MozBackup or the Firefox FEBE Extension, an older backup from before the problem occurred would probably be able to restore all your Firefox personalizations in one step. In the future, consider these free tools in case something like this ever happens again. FEBE works on a per-user basis, so each account needs to keep its FEBE backups up to date and stored in separate locations (folders). Remember to make backups to external locations as well, since user data will be deleted when doing a fresh Firefox install.
    -- Bob Primak --

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    If this issue is not resolved by Just Plain Fred's advice,
    It was resolved hours before that.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It was resolved hours before that.

Bruce
    The thread is not closed just because the OP considers his issue resolved. In fact, I have seldom seen a Lounge Thread closed to new Replies.

I think my additional method was on-topic, in case other readers might be faced with the same issue.

Especially the preventative value of MozBackup and FEBE for dealing with Firefox corruption or hijacking issues in advance of an emergency situation.

Prevention would make complete removal of Firefox and all its components less of a painful decision for users who want to retain important profile information and restore it after any Firefox disaster.

Again, I think such advice is on-topic in this thread, and adds constructively to the general direction of the thread.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    He wasn't referring to your comments but to the
    If this issue is not resolved by Just Plain Fred's advice,
    part

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    He wasn't referring to your comments but to the part

Jerry
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I might have modified my post to say that my post is additional information meant to help prevent this type of hijacking from becoming a problem in the future. In the sense that fully cleaning up a corrupted or hijacked Firefox Profile is much less painful if one has backed up the Profile Data before something nasty happens.

As long as any lingering malware has been ruled out, this was at that point only a question of how to complete the cleanup.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Especially the preventative value of MozBackup and FEBE for dealing with Firefox corruption or hijacking issues in advance of an emergency situation.

Prevention would make complete removal of Firefox and all its components less of a painful decision for users who want to retain important profile information and restore it after any Firefox disaster.
    +1 on the value of FEBE. I started using FEBE a few years ago to easily transfer my Firefox settings between 4 different computers. Since then, I have used it once or twice to eradicate Firefox corruption / hijacking problems.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)