Star Lounger
    Thanks

Calculate average, variable date range and number of entries per day?

I have a data table with a date/time stamp in column A and corresponding values in columns B, C, D. The readings are sporadic - there may be any number from 0 to 3 entries on a given day. The table is sorted on the time-stamp, and has no blank lines or empty values.

I have averages for each complete column, and the row values update automatically as data is added to the table. e.g.

=AVERAGE(DataTable!$B$2:$B$106)

I have two ranges defined: StartDate & EndDate, and I now want to calculate average values for the given date range.
    ie: "Show me the average of values in Col B where corresponding date/time in Col A is >= StartDate and <= EndDate"

I've been trying combinations of AVERAGE, INDEX, & MATCH functions with StartDate & EndDate without success.

Any pointers or examples would be appreciated.
    Last edited by flippertie; 2013-07-22 at 01:43.

Thanks
    If you are using XL2007 or greater the easiest solution is AVERAGEIFS function something like:
    =AVERAGEIFS (DataTable!$B$2:$B$106, DataTable!$A$2:$A$106, ">="&StartDate, DataTable!$A$2:$A$106, "<="&EndDate)

If your version pre-dates AVERAGEIFS function, you can use an array formula (confirm with ctrl-shift-enter) of the form:
    =AVERAGE(IF ((DataTable!$A$2:$A$106 >= StartDate)*(DataTable!$A$2:$A$106 <=EndDate), DataTable!$B$2:$B$106))

Steve

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sdckapr For This Useful Post:

flippertie (2013-07-22)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - works perfectly!

I'm on XL2007, but most of my knowledge comes from XL2003 and earlier (back to lotus 123!) I wasn't aware of the AverageIf function. I don't need to use Excel very frequently so new innovations pass me by..

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quick addendum for anyone else using this formula - I had to change it slightly

from this
    =AVERAGEIFS (DataTable!$B$2:$B$106, DataTable!$A$2:$A$106, ">="&StartDate, DataTable!$A$2:$A$106, "<="&EndDate)

to this
    =AVERAGEIFS (DataTable!$B$2:$B$106, DataTable!$A$2:$A$106, ">="&StartDate, DataTable!$A$2:$A$106, "<="&EndDate+1)

Note the added '+1' at the end.

This is needed because a date entered manually in EndDate evaluates to an integer (22 July 13 = 41477) but readings taken during the day will be fractionally greater than that (eg 6:00 am on 22 july 13 is 41477.25) and readings from EndDatewere being omitted from the calculation..