2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Satellite Z830 blocking some network file access

My Z830 is being rebuilt after a keyboard problem. It was reset to factory settings with 64 bit Win 7 home Premium. It is in a 4 pc win 7 wired network. All 4 are mebers of "WORKGROUP" and (currently) none of a homegroup. PC "A" has a bunch of folders with various share permissions. PC's B and C can both access A across the network and manipulate all A's shared folders acording to their permissions. The permisions are either read only, or full control, for "everyone" under "Advanced sharing". All four pc's have the same logon name and password. None of A's shared folders are public. "Password protected sharing" is off on all four pc's. All 4 use 128 bit network encryption.

PC "T" (the Toshiba) can access some of the shared folders acording to their permissions on A OK, but not other shared folders which have the same permission settings on A. The failures show up as shared folders, but attempts to open them give a "Network error" message saying "You do not have permission to acccess ..."

And yes I have only one anti virus (MSE) running, though I have also checked with antiMalwareBytes

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Permissions can be tricky. Make sure the permissions are correct by opening the network node, in Windows Explorer and finding the folders you want. Set the sharing permissions from here instead of doing it while you are viewing the folders as part of a local drive. Of course, do this from the computer where the files you want to share are located.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, I never thought of trying that! So I did. The permissions on A, looking on A but via the network node were the same as having looked 'localy'. I then reset a permission - via netnode - from full control to read only, checked access from T, reset A - via netnode - back to full control, and rechecked T's access. Same error as previously reported each time.

I almost always impliment suggestions (after all if I knew enough to reject them, how come I had a problem?) However I suspected the problem is in T's net acess since B and C can work with a's files OK. However I did some more research trying various acesses from one pc to another - with the following results

C does not have any shared folders

T accessing A - problem with some folders
    T accessing B - OK
    B accessing A - OK
    B accessing T - OK
    A accessing B - OK
    A accessing T - problem with some folders
    T accessing T - OK
    A accesing A - OK

However - problem solved - though I still don't understand why the results are as above!!

I was only setting permissions via rclick on folder / properties / sharing / advanced sharing / permissions / everyone / whatever permission.
    However it seems one also has to go into /properties / security as well. There many folders only listed one or more 'group or user name' that belonged to the owner pc. By going /edit/ add/ and then adding "everyone" to the object names (I could have been more specific I guess, but saw no need to) /OK/ and then setting the permissions for "everyone" the same as I had done under 'sharing' - it all worked.

Thanks for the help - and I hope this helps someone else.

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    I have always needed to go through the security settings to make sure I have writing access from any computer to any other computer. This weekend, for the first time, I had to go through the step I recommended and was able to achieve what I wanted.
    Rui
    -------
    R4