Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New Asus notebook: Want to make it "Pro"

I am completely new to 8, more or less. Last night I just ordered a notebook because the deal was irresistible I got an ASUS X55C Notebook Intel Core i3 2370M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD DVD+/-RW Intel GMA 3000 from Newegg for $259 final cost + tax, so I could learn this OS, and do some things away from my desktop. Okay, it comes with W8 64 bit, but not the "Pro" version. Yet, I want the Hyper-V. And I guess I don't get that unless I were to have Pro.

So my question is... I so happen to have an OEM 8 Pro 64 upgrade disc, unused, at hand. Can I make use of that, without having to buy the "Pro Pack?" I really want some kind of solution (hopefully a free one) to this problem so I can incorporate XP into the system.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want a fully working XP system (not just something to use as a testing bed) you may be better off either to dual boot or run XP in VM, either on VirtualBox or VMWarePlayer. You can't capture a USB port and use that in hyper-V as far as I know, but you can using either of other options and you should have ample space available on the 500gig drive to partition and set up a dual boot system as well. A VM is going to be rather slow on the same platter drive as the host.

The OEM builders would work if it's used instead of what's installed now but I don't know about an in-place upgrade.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2013-07-23)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Once again, you are a hero to me F.U.N.downtown! (BTW, great to see you again). If I may, do you have a personal preference between Virtual Box or VMWarePlayer? Since as you say the VM would be slow on the same platter (Ugh... 5400 rpm at that), Could I set it up on my Sony external 1TB USB 3 drive???

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've always just used VMWare player, initially because I could import XP Mode and "export" it to other systems and because it seemed like the video emulation was better at the time. Now it's just habit!

I have several VMs on USB 3 connected drives, they can travel from system to system that way. Works quite well. Other system resources might get stretched on a notebook if using both for anything substantial simultaneously.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2013-07-23)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like there are solutions to adding USB pass-through to hyper-v.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

Gerard3 (2013-07-23)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hot Diggity Dog!-- If you think I'm jazzed, you're right!

I still have much more reading to do, but both prospects seem quite attractive. I do get a sense that VMWarePlayer might be a bit simpler to incorporate. It's good to know that there is a solution to the USB issue in Hyper-V. And that is music to my ears about the USB drives. Yessir, looks like I'm gonna be a happy camper once again. Thanks once again, FD!

Thanks
    Just my 2¢ -

I dual boot Windows 7/8 on my desktop and laptop. I use VirtualBox on my desktop in Windows 8 for Windows XP, and on my laptop I use XP Mode from MS (in MS VM) in Windows 7. In both cases USB ports are accessible.

On my older laptop, I dual-boot XP and Windows 7.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Just my 2¢ -

I dual boot Windows 7/8 on my desktop and laptop. I use VirtualBox on my desktop in Windows 8 for Windows XP, and on my laptop I use XP Mode from MS (in MS VM) in Windows 7. In both cases USB ports are accessible.

On my older laptop, I dual-boot XP and Windows 7.
    Thanks, Bbearren! Wow... sounds like you really have your bases covered. Must be nice to have all those options and flexibility. I can relate in the sense that I look to my desktop to be my multimedia, home theatre audio/video workstation with a 42" tv/monitor and 5.1 surround sound.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, simpatico, I'm using a 55" HDTV at about 8ft from cornea to screen as my main interface. I know Patrick Norton rags on and on about how bad a 1920x1080 computer-generated image is on anything larger than 24" or so, but it works perfectly fine for me, while I found 720P was not good from the get go. Still, I'm sure a 4K screen would knock my socks off but I probably don't have but one or two systems beefy enough to drive the pixel train to a screen with that kind of resolution.

BTW, the Asus notebook was a refurbish? I looked and could only find that flavor at $334 on Newegg. Still a really great deal, I buy refurbs from select sources with confidence, but if it was brand new, holy cow!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ah, simpatico, I'm using a 55" HDTV at about 8ft from cornea to screen as my main interface. I know Patrick Norton rags on and on about how bad a 1920x1080 computer-generated image is on anything larger than 24" or so, but it works perfectly fine for me, while I found 720P was not good from the get go. Still, I'm sure a 4K screen would knock my socks off but I probably don't have but one or two systems beefy enough to drive the pixel train to a screen with that kind of resolution.

BTW, the Asus notebook was a refurbish? I looked and could only find that flavor at $334 on Newegg. Still a really great deal, I buy refurbs from select sources with confidence, but if it was brand new, holy cow!
    I so enjoy your post FD. Wow, now we're talkin' at 55". Yeah, I did make certain to get the 1080P HD. And, like you, this is the nicest, most preferred monitor experience I've ever had. I can even read text from a distance... in my recliner chair. I've been thinking of getting a 4K video cam around Black Friday time-- maybe a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition. Truly awesome video images, even if one has to convert and compress.

Yes, the Asus is a refurb. It was one of their quicky scrambled egg or shell shocker deals. I just so happened to be at the right place at the right time. Had to think quick, and I thought how cool is this-- buy Windows 8, get a free computer! Now I just got tracking and it's already out for delivery. Woohoo!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: I just received it! Well, if I don't like Windows 8, I think I'm really going to like this laptop. It is one sharp looking puppy friends. More importantly, this has the nicest feeling keypad I've ever seen or tried on a laptop-- I actually have some room for my big clumsy fingers. And I respect the ASUS name-- It seems to be the corresponding rival to MSI, and I am a huge fan of MSI. Looking forward to following Ted's getting started tutorial when I get the chance.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    Update: I just received it! Well, if I don't like Windows 8, I think I'm really going to like this laptop. It is one sharp looking puppy friends. More importantly, this has the nicest feeling keypad I've ever seen or tried on a laptop-- I actually have some room for my big clumsy fingers. And I respect the ASUS name-- It seems to be the corresponding rival to MSI, and I am a huge fan of MSI. Looking forward to following Ted's getting started tutorial when I get the chance.
    If you don't like Windows 8, before ditching it, install StartIsBack, which will make it work just like Windows 7, but with the better stability and efficiency of Windows 8. If you like Windows 7, you'll love Windows 8 with StartIsBack.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Say, thanks for the hot tip, Jim! I will keep that logged. Like it or not, I am determined to learn something of this W8. I really do not see nor expect Microsoft backpedaling in the future, for better or for worse. But once I learn something about it, I'll keep that StartsBack option. For sure, I am committed to W7 Pro 64 on my desktop however. I've got to admit though that I do appreciate anything that offers more stability and effeciency.
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-07-23 at 20:07. Reason: clarification

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd sure like to know who took the liberty to edit the title of my thread and why without even telling me. Grrrrr... .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    Say, thanks for the hot tip, Jim! I will keep that logged. Like it or not, I am determined to learn something of this W8. I really do not see nor expect Microsoft backpedaling in the future, for better or for worse. But once I learn something about it, I'll keep that StartsBack option. For sure, I am committed to W7 Pro 64 on my desktop however. I've got to admit though that I do appreciate anything that offers more stability and effeciency.
    I was just like you -- I was determined to learn about Windows 8, so I installed it and left it in the default configuration as long as I could stand it. When I couldn't stand being hobbled without a start button / start menu any more (it's like typing with one hand tied behind your back), I installed StartIsBack (based on what people recommended here), and I immediately fell in love with Windows 8.

My reason for wanting to learn Windows 8 was because I do I.T. for a living. Therefore, it's something I need to learn. Also, I wanted to be able to comment on Windows 8 from experience, rather than basing my opinions on what everyone else was saying. (There's a lot of commentary out there about Windows 8 from people who have never touched it!)

I am free at any time (and so are you) to venture into the "metro" world (the tablet interface). But I've never felt the need or desire to do so since installing StartIsBack.

You can download and install StartIsBack and use it free for 90 days. After that time, it's only $3 for use on two computers. I recommend that you do that. And I believe that once you do it, you will find that you are perfectly happy with Windows 8 in Desktop Mode with StartIsBack.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast