Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail & Gmail

Hello, people

I tried to set up Windows Live mail to read Gmail and it seems to work - sort of. I set it up as an IMAP setup, as that is what was advised on line elsewhere. I get the e-mail all right, but when i log into Gmail in Google, there seems to be mail in different default folders that I didn't see in Windows Live and won't see unless I log into Google mail, which defeats the purpose of the operation.

If I try to move or delete folders in Windows Live (2011), it won't let me (IMAP, I guess).

Any ideas how I can make Windows Live actually see all the e-mail that comes into my Gmail account?

Allan Appel

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Allan Appel,
    WSL.JPG

First, you should upgrade to WLM 2012 as 2011 version is rubbish. Now do this. Mail Tips.pdf
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Roderunner

Thank you very much for your detailed response.
    Just a couple more questions:
    a) When upgrading to WLM 2012, will I lose anything in my folders, etc.?
    b) Since I already have IMAP enabled for the Gmail account in WLM, can I change it to POP?
    c) The screen you show in your PDF appeared in Gmail when you forwarded the mail?

Thanks,

A.A.

Thanks
    Does the fact that Gmail have improved (sic) their interface and divided emails into categories, each with their own tab, cause problems with other mail readers, e.g. Thunderbird or WLM?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Appel View Post
    Hello, Roderunner

Thank you very much for your detailed response.
    Just a couple more questions:
    a) When upgrading to WLM 2012, will I lose anything in my folders, etc.?

As your using Gmail, it won't matter if you lose anything from WLM after upgrading as everything will be in your Gmail All Mail folder.

b) Since I already have IMAP enabled for the Gmail account in WLM, can I change it to POP?

You can enable POP & IMAP at the same time. POP in WLM is more user friendly, which is what I use. I don't have anything that I need IMAP enabled for, so I disabled it.

c) The screen you show in your PDF appeared in Gmail when you forwarded the mail?

Please explain above.

Thanks,

A.A.
    Hope this helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

Allan Appel (2013-07-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Does the fact that Gmail have improved (sic) their interface and divided emails into categories, each with their own tab, cause problems with other mail readers, e.g. Thunderbird or WLM?
    All your mail will appear in the 'Primary' folder unless you create filters. I only use WLM to send & read my Gmail messages & only create filters for SPAM!
    If you get trouble after creating filters to categorize your mail, just delete the filter.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Roderunner

As your using Gmail, it won't matter if you lose anything from WLM after upgrading as everything will be in your Gmail All Mail folder.

I was worried about a lot of mail I have from a local provider, Shaw, as I'm adding Gmail and Hotmail accounts in case I have to leave that provider.

You can enable POP & IMAP at the same time. POP in WLM is more user friendly, which is what I use. I don't have anything that I need IMAP enabled for, so I disabled it.

I tried enabling POP by creating a new account and deleting the old one in WLM, but it defaulted to IMAP anyway. I'm still using 2011 version of WLM.

You had a copy of http://windowssecrets.com/forums/att...3&d=1374564380 enclosed which explained about forwarding and POP and IMAP access. You said above it that I should open a Gmail account and forward my mail to the new Gmail account.

Allan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you.

Allan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In WLM 2009 GMail IMAP I get All Mail, Drafts, Important, Sent Mail, Spam, Starred, and Trash. I never ever go to the web interface. Am I getting all the categories or am I missing some or is this some custom folders that aren't playing nice?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like you get everything as I seem to do. Sometimes, for whatever reason, a new e-mail will slip into one of the subfolders and I only see it if I check "all mail".

I don't think I will be playing with the folders that are the defaults - don't want to mess with things too much.

Allan A.

Thanks
    In answer to my own posting, Thunderbird lumps all the emails into one inbox, so nothing gets lost. As far as the web interface is concerned, thanks to good old Leo N, I've now got rid of the categories (social and promotions) and just have the one. I've also set conversation view to off so that I can see each email. Good thing I don't often use the web interface, and at least Google have given us the option of switching off these newfangled things.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally figured out how to get rid of the categories as well. Thanks. And I now know what Roderunner was referring to in his PDF - but I could not get the POP to work. So I'm back with IMAP, but without the categories, it can work for me, I guess.

Allan A

Thanks
    Hi Allan,

Once you have enabled POP in your Gmail settings, here is how to configure WLM to use POP by changing your current IMAP account properties.

GB.jpg
    Click image to enlarge it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

Allan Appel (2013-07-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much. I will try this some time tomorrow.
    Allan

Thanks
    When I first started using GMail, several years ago now, there was a Tutorial that I downloaded on just how to set it up in Outlook Express (similar to Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail) on my computer.

It specifically said to set everything up at Google, to use POP and NOT IMAP.
    Then set up the email program on my computer to the same.

I've always done it like that, for myself and all my customers who have gone to GMail.
    We have no problems getting our mail.

One nice thing I've found and used with GMail, is the "Filter" that can be set up at Google, to block certain email addresses. I'm then able to block companies that won't stop emailing me, even after I tell them to.

About once a month, I go up to GMail and check and clean out my Block Sender List (Spam Folder) and deleted items folder. They say you don't have to do that, but I like keeping things CLEAN.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast