New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2013 will not allow me to be the Administrator

When installing Outlook 2013 in win 8 I was in a hurry and made an e-mail account the administrator.
    Now that everything is working I decided I want to be the administrator but have been overruled by the
    e-mail program. A few of my nerdier friends say I am stuck with this but I don't believe it. Anyone have any suggestions short of reinstalling Outlook. Thank You.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    How is Outlook preventing you from being Administrator? What are you doing and what error messages are occurring?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears to be easy but i have seen this message a half dozen times in Outlook and about the same on when i leave
    Outlook to go to a different ape. You do not have permission to etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I cannot understand what you mean and the information provided is insufficient for me to provide any help.

Please state clearly what you are trying to do and the exact error messages you are receiving.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK ruirib, I don't think i can make it any clearer than this. What i am trying to do is become administrator of every program on this computer.
    I did not write it down but this is the type of message i have received in a number of apps where it required the power of the administrator to change such and such or delete that........... or do anything that requires the power of an administrator.
    I'm sorry but i cannot make it any clearer than this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with that. It is something I never had to do with any of the Windows programs I have used. Sometimes, if you need something that cannot be achieved with running as administrator, just right click the program and choose Run as administrator.

I have never, I repeat, never, had to do that with Outlook, so whatever you are trying to accomplish, seems completely unnecessary, especially with Outlook.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Yo have to understand that the Windows security model was changed starting with Vista. From that point forward, your user account may be a member of the administrators group which gives you the ability to perform certain tasks that a non-administrator can't. HOWEVER, unlike XP being a member of the administrator group does NOT give you complete unfettered access to everything on the PC. If you care to search, there are other threads in the Lounge about taking ownership of objects. Permissions on various objects can be different than what you expect if they are from a different PC or different OS even though the user account name is the same.

NOTE: I agree with what Rui said about Outlook. I've NEVER had to do that with Outlook.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Another thought about taking ownership. You have to be careful not to disturb permissions for system accounts otherwise you may find you can't run something properly & services may not start.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you installed the application under username=Administrator then created a new user USER1 even with admin rights there will be some things you can not do as some installed files will have owner set to Administrator and not USER1.
    It is a good thing to install all apps either as Administrator or on the account that is your main account on the computer and keep using that account to install all apps and do any changes to apps including the uninstalling of any.
    It is good practice in my opinion to create an account called Administrator when installing Windows then after the install create a new account with your username and apply administrator rights to it. Log in as administrator only when you need to install apps or do system alterations, for normal use use your own account to work in.
    Hope this helps
    Sorry forgot to mention that when creating mail accounts be sure to do it in the user account you are creating the mail account for.
    Last edited by LexLen; 2013-07-24 at 17:34.