New Lounger
    Thanks

Open and save old DOC files in Word 2010

I'm using Word 2010 and am having problems with older Word DOC files. The one I'm dealing with right now was created in 1999, so I was probably using Word 97. The document opens OK, but I'm unable to save it. I have tried going to Info > Convert, which indicates that it's been converted, but saving is still blocked. Then I've been into the File Block Settings in the Trust Center and see that saving isn't even an option. In the process, I've come across this in a dialog box:

"To save documents with this file type, disable the registry policy setting. For more information, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 922850."

I've read that KB article but don't see that it tells me how to disable the registry settings that are preventing me from saving into a DOCX format. So as it is now, I have old documents that I can open but not edit as they can't be saved. And I don't know what to do about it.

I still have my old CD/DVD disks for all versions of Word from 97 up to 2010 and suppose I could go back and reinstall the old software, but surely there's a way for my to update the old files to a newer format without all that hassle.

I'd sure be open to some suggestions.

Thanks!!

James

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you delete all content from the file and save it? If so there may be some corrupted content that is the cause of your issue.

One way to resolve this might be to try opening Word first and choose Open and change the file type to "Open and Repair" before opening the document.

Could there be a macro or add-in causing the problem? What add-ins are you running?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Andrew, for the response!

In trying to follow each of your suggestions, I discovered that the problem even existed for newer files that should have opened and saved without issue. So it had to be some issue related to my installation since the error of file block settings in the Trust Center kept coming up. I did two things. First, I specifically added a trusted location that includes all of the files involved even though that's never been an issue before. Secondly, I restored defaults in the File Block Settings. Now everything "seems" to be working, though I haven't tested as much as I want to.

Your suggestion to delete file content and save put me on the right track. There was no corrupted content, but when I couldn't even copy the content, paste into a new document and then save, something else had to be wrong. My installation of Word is "plain vanilla" with no macros or add-ins to cause problems.

So now I think I can get the work done but will be back with more detail if I run into snags. Thanks again.

James

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm glad you seem to have solved it. Perhaps the file blocking settings themselves were corrupted and by changing them caused them to be rewritten.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia