Thanks

Two Copies of Word?

My daughter called me in because her Word was saying it needed activation. What it said in fact was that the subscription had run out. Funny, I thought, since the Office 2010 that was on there wasn't a subscription, but a paid version. She's not alone on this PC...she let's her kids use it too. So...

When I went to look, she seems to in fact have two copies of Word at least, and maybe the whole Office: The 2010 that I installed, and this "rogue" 2012 subscription.

Can I uninstall the subscription copy without disturbing the 2010 install? Through the 'regular' Windows Programs and Features? Need I do something in front?

I tried not having anyone but me having Admin rights, but too often software required Admin rights for this or that. Is there a way to lock out just the Adding of software and such without specific or certain rights?

If she had been inadvertently using 2012 instead of the 2010, are all the Word and Outlook files compatible?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    There is no Word or Office 2012. There is a subscription Word 2013 and there are trial versions that can be downloaded. The question is, did the new installation uninstall the existing one?

Look on her C: drive in the Program Files (or Program Files (x86)) folder under Microsoft Office. look for folders that start with the word "Office." Office14 is Office 2010.

What do you see ?

If there is an Office14 folder, open it and look for WinWord.exe. If you find it, double-click on it. What happens?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Charles, I didn't have a lot of time, as my daughter [and PC] were heading out, but...

The error said the subscription had expired. You are probably right that it was 2013. All I really saw was that the splash screen was not one I had ever seen -- flat blue, white letters. Since it was a "subscription", I knew something wasn't correct...anyway...

I exited out -- BTW, this laptop also is running Windows 8, which I am not at all familiar with yet -- and went looking for the Word 2010 that I remembered from my install. Loaded right up, and shows as activated.

So...?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Try uninstalling Office 2013. You can do that with the Programs control panel.

Then reregister Word 2010 with Windows.
    Get the Run command (on the Start Menu in Windows Vista) and type
    winword.exe /r

Note, the space before the / is important.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2013-07-24 at 23:18.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

CWBillow (2013-07-24)

Thanks
    Charles, got it all squared away. Thanks muchly!

Chuck