Thanks

Freeing Wordpad from Win Presentation charges?

Hello Folks...
    A friend is having an odd problem in his Vista OS, where anytime he opens a file with Notepad or Wordpad, its opening is somehow linked to a counter of usage events. It will run out of "free" uses and eventually demand payment for Windows Presentation.

I am an XP user, and find it awkward to navigate Vista (Surprise?) so I am looking here (knowing this is most likely the best place to get a straight and corrrect answer.

Can some one tell me what's happening and how to remedy it? As far as I know there should be no charges for simply using Wordpad to open and read an .RTF file.

Thanks in advance, Rich P.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

What is Windows Presentation?

Is he "renting" his copy of Vista, or his computer, or perhaps does he have some sort of usage agreement for internet time?

I've never heard of anything like this. I wonder if he may have some sort of malware on his computer.

I would ignore these messages. And I would do a thorough malware scan, to eliminate whatever it is that is counting his "usage events".

I would also make sure that all of my data was backed up continually. In that way, if things ever do shut down, he can do a clean, "wipe the drive" reinstall of Vista, to eliminate the "counter of usage events."

Thanks
    I agree. It seems really strange. I'll fry to get some more detail, Since I'm working this over the phone I'm more limited than I am used to being in troubleshooting the problem.

I would really like to get a screen capture of the message when it rears its ugly head. I'll see if he can pull it off.

Thanks for your consideration.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

A couple of things to consider.

The only thing I know of with a similar name is: ‘Windows Presentation Foundation’
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ion_Foundation
    which is part of Microsoft's .NET framework for creating applications - and I can’t see how that's anything to do with it.

So does your friend really mean Microsoft Office trial? If so then they have a file association problem with NotePad (.txt) and WordPad (.rtf) files because NotePad and WordPad is still included in Vista and Windows7 for free and should be opening them without problem. If the file associations are set for one of the MS Office trial applications (Word or even PowerPoint?) to open these types of files then they will definitely see a counter indicating how many times they’ve used the trial and warnings that they will soon have to buy the full program.

The simple solution to that is to Right Click on a typical file and then use the 'Open With' menu to change the default applications to NotePad and WordPad.

If we really are talking about a MS Office trial, and they do not wish to buy it, then uninstall the trial and replace it with Libre Office, https://www.libreoffice.org/
    which is free and will probably suit their needs far better and can be set to default save to .doc, xls etc as if it were MS Office – it will also open newer formats such as .docx.

If it is not the above then the most likely thing is some sort of maleware fake application that they’ve picked up – but it’s not one I’ve ever seen, and nor does it match any descriptions in a Google search. It may still be worth a scan with Malwarebytes just to make sure though:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ma...9945afe10f5f0/

Cheers, Chris
    Last edited by Chris Cooper; 2013-07-25 at 08:32.
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

Thanks
    Thanks so much. I'm sure that is it. I'll foreward this to him.

Question: In Vista, can you make the "Open With" file type a permanent change? The last time I had to help someone assosiate a new file type in Vista it was a wild goose chase and nearly exhauting mentally.

Since 1977 I worked with IBM 7044, 7094; Harris S120, Univac 1230MTC, CDC Cyber 7's
    Then on to DOS6/Windows 3.0 LOL

Thanks
    To make a file association permanent, choose Open With, then at the bottom, click the button to browse to the program to use to open the file. Then highlight the desired program (Notepad or Wordpad), and check the box indicating that it should always use this program with this type of file.

Thanks
    Ok, thanks. At least that funcrion is the same as in XP. But there's no simple "Tools/folder options/view/file types/edit" etc. Really, I cannot skillfully navigate thru Vista, and truthfully would rather not.

I talked to my buddy, and I think it's straightened out, thanks to your help.

His wife has Libre on her machine, BTW

My "Word Processiong" needs are simple and WPAD is fine for that. Actually you can get quite a bit of functionality out of it, if you know its ins & outs.

Seems next year I'll be going another round with learning linux, as the 3rd party apps will not be supported. Had Umbutu but for some reason it bombed out. Another unfamiliar territory. Why can't MS just have their new OS be whatever (short of the "cloudy" EIGHT), and let it look and function, as an option, like XP"? What's wromg with a system that works, makes sense, and does not necessitate the dreaded migration? Oh, maybe a mostly functional Whindoze doesn't exactly jive with those dudes.May be a surprise?

Thanks again, Richard

<|>