New Lounger
    Thanks

.NET Updates fail XP Home SP3

Automatic updates has downloaded several .NET Framework updates that fail every time I try to install them. If I go to Microsoft Update and scan for needed updates, it wants me to install (which, I assume, means it's already been downloaded) "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and.NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET Versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86" first, then scan for updates again. The installation always fails.

I've spent close to 20 hours scouring for solutions like cleanup tools, but they all apply either to XP Pro SP3 or XP Home SP2.

The Add/Remove Programs applet shows the following versions installed, each with further updates too numerous to list:
    2.0 SP2
    3.0 SP2
    3.5 SP1

Has anyone succeeded with these infamous updates in Home SP3?

Thanks
    Try to install some of the updates manually. Go to the Microsoft website and search for them using the KB numbers.

After doing some of them manually, see if the rest of them will then install through the normal process.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, mr jim. I was able to fix some of the problem.

Note to everyone - when you get to Microsoft Download Center and enter KB#'s, the search often returns no results. Be sure to designate your search "all of Microsoft.com" to find the KB downloads you need!

I found this article and used the procedure pasted below. I removed all versions with the cleanup utility and installed the "dotnetfx35.exe" package, which reinstalled versions 2.0-SP2, 3.0-SP2 and 3.5-SP1 successfully. The troublesome "Family" update KB951847 still won't install.

mrjim, do you know how to get the already-downloaded updates off my hard drive so I can have a fresh scan for needed updates? It still tells me I need some updates that the fix procedure has installed, as if it's not really scanning, but just nagging me to install previously automatically-downloaded ones.

Don't dive into this without reading up on what you're doing! If in doubt, don't do it!

This issue can be caused by a damaged .NET Framework component. In order to resolve the issue, we have to remove previous versions of .NET Framework and reinstall .NET Framework 3.5, which contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1. Based on its current status, I suggest trying the following troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Use .Net Framework CleanUp Utility
    ============================================
    1. Please download the tool from the following link:

http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive...eanup_tool.zip

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link to the local Desktop and extract it.
    3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
    4. Please follow the instructions given.
    In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework – All versions".
    5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
    6. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Manually downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
    ================================================== =====
    Please note: The size of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a little big. Your patience to download the update is much appreciated.

1. Click the following link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...dotnetfx35.exe

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...958484-x86.exe

2. When the file download window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save it on the Desktop. After downloading the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 setup file on your Desktop, double-click to manually install it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to erc For This Useful Post:

bdodger (2014-03-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erc View Post
    Thanks, mr jim. I was able to fix some of the problem.
    You're very welcome.

mrjim, do you know how to get the already-downloaded updates off my hard drive so I can have a fresh scan for needed updates? It still tells me I need some updates that the fix procedure has installed, as if it's not really scanning, but just nagging me to install previously automatically-downloaded ones.
    If you know that they are installed, then you can hide those updates if they show up in the list of needed updates. If you've downloaded them but haven't yet installed them successfully, then they will keep showing up in the list of needed updates.

In short, hide whichever ones you don't want to be reminded about.

One way that you can verify whether or not they have actually been installed is to go to Control Panel / Add/Remove programs, and look at the list of Windows updates that are available for uninstall. If they are available for uninstall, then they have successfully been installed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I've been hiding them for months! Then I read something about them being pretty important for security, so started trying to make them install.

I read also that various applications will install earlier versions of .NET Framework if they need them and can't find them, so I'm not going to go all the way back and install v1. The ones I listed are those that show up in Add/Remove, and nothing seems to be hinky, so I think I'll leave well enough alone for now. If it becomes necessary, I'll look at my update history, make another list of KB#s, download their full/binary/installer packages instead of the bootstrapped "automatic run" method, and see what happens.

Sure do appreciate your time, and it's amazing to get answers so fast. Wish I could shake your hand in person, but hope it comes across virtually. There are an awful lot of us out here really benefiting from your input.

Thanks
    The most common cause of failed .net updates is a corrupted .net installation. If the above suggestions don't work, try uninstalling all versions of .net and then reinstall .net 3.5 from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=21

After the reinstall, run windows update again.

if you find one of your programs needs an earlier version of .net, do a search for .net x.x download where x.x is the version neede.

Jerry

Thanks
    Wish I could shake your hand in person, but hope it comes across virtually.
    You could hit the "Thanks" button.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

bdodger (2014-03-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    try aaron stebner site,you can download,.net verification tool and .net cleanup tool.plus various .net tools

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm curious: Why would there be a need for an "earlier version of .net"?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You Mr Jim ...........Worked flawlessly