Lounger
    Thanks

Concatenate columns

Hello -
    This seems like it should be simple but I have not been successful so far. In the attachment I am trying to concatenate three columns but if all three are blank then I want n/a to appear.

Can anyone help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can check for cells having spaces as well as empty with this formula:

=IF((CONCATENATE(TRIM(A3),TRIM(B3),TRIM(C3))="")," N/A",CONCATENATE(A3,B3,C3))

Regards, Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Konopca,

Rick beat me to the post but here's a slightly different version.

This should do the trick:
    =IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1),ISBLANK($B1),ISBLANK($C1)),"N/A",CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1))
    enter into D1 and fill down. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

..and another way would be to use a custom formula, see =koncatenate(A1:C1) in attached file [rz1a-TEST1.xlsm].
    This uses a version of my concatenate function, described with examples, in attached file [zeddy-myCONCAT-function-version1a.xls]

zeddy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you. Retired Geek, I used your suggestion, it worked like a charm.
    Rfallen, your solution gave me TRUE and FALSE values and Zeddy yours was a little to sophisticated for me to understand being the novice Excel user that I am.
    Thanks again.
    Carol.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Konopca,

Keep in mind that there is a difference between Rick's (rfallen) solution and RG's solution. Rick's solution will check to see if ALL 3 cells only have spaces (that's what TRIM does). Sometimes, people inadvertently hit a space key. Rick's formula checks for that. RG's formula does not: if one cell has spaces and the others are really blank, RG's formula will not give you the N/A.

However, it does not appear that Rick's formula accounts for the following: only concatenate non-blank cells (where a blank cell would also include one where there are just spaces). If one cell is " " (2 spaces), then you'll get 2 spaces somewhere in your concatenation. If you account for the spaces in all 3 cells, you might want to account for the spaces in ANY of the 3 cells and only concatenate cells with non-blanks/spaces.

Rick's formula did work for me - no TRUE/FALSE.

Fred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Carol

You are right - RG's solution does exactly what you asked for:
    =IF(AND(ISBLANK($A1),ISBLANK($B1),ISBLANK($C1)),"N/A",CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1))

Now, if you had to do this for say, columns A to P, then RG's solution would get very long and tedious.
    Whereas my
    =koncatenate(A1:C1)
    simply becomes..
    =koncatenate(A1:P1)

The other sample file I attached was really for the benefit of other Lounge users who may want to see a useful CONCATENATE function which Excel lacks.

zeddy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred and zeddy for the additional information. Even though I only posted a sample of my spreadsheet, the entire spreadsheet is still only just a few columns and would not contain any spaces in the columns in question.

Now I know where to come for Excel questions!