Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Crash Question: Right answer gets Twitter Verified Acct Promo/Shoutout

My wife's PC (w/Windows 7 crashed). She needs to know how to gain access to her user files from the command prompt. Is there a way to make them visible via a password command (or some other way). She is at D:\users/leehiller on a black command prompt screen. Whomever can answer correctly, If you wish and have a Twitter account, I will promote it or your biz for a week from my verified account. Thanks sincerely! RickLondon

Thanks
    She should first type the following:

cd "My Documents" <enter>

Now all of her files will be in the active command prompt window.

But when you say "gain access", you are implying that she doesn't currently have access. In that case, she should log out, then log in on an administrator account. She should be able to access everything on the drive, including her own files. No need to use the command prompt.

If that won't work (i.e. if there is something damaged with Windows), then try booting to Safe Mode and accessing the files that way. Or, put the drive into another Windows 7 computer, and access the files via the other computer's Windows 7.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-07-24 at 15:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can she log in as administrator from the command prompt. She has the password.

Thanks
    Yes. She should click the Start button, then type CMD in the search window. Then, in the above box, when you see CMD displayed, right click on it and choose Run As Administrator.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks There is on start button showing; she cannot open windows. She only sees a command prompt. Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What do you mean by gain access? Do you want to get a listing of them? Are you familiar with DOS commands?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What was the nature of the crash?

Does the system boot to the desktop?
    If it does, what happens when she tries to run a program?
    Do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD?
    From the method described in post #4, run SFC /SCANNOW from the command window.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    She tried that and now it doesn't recognize the drive at all...it was a complete hard disk meltdown (it appears); the fact that anything is showing is amazing.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    when she can get into the hard drive she cannot see any subdirectories or files in her username directory. She knows dos very well; she used to teach it. When she was in and could see the hard drive today (1st time since it crashed 48 hours ago)...she could switch from boot disk to hard drive. But she cannot see anything on hard drive; that's data she needs. She can see sony files, system files but no data. She cannot log into windows. she's having to work to see everything from command prompt. The dui graphic user interface wont work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2013-07-24 16:00
    when she can get into the hard drive she cannot see any subdirectories or files in her username directory. She knows dos very well; she used to teach it. When she was in and could see the hard drive today (1st time since it crashed 48 hours ago)...she could switch from boot disk to hard drive. But she cannot see anything on hard drive; that's data she needs. She can see sony files, system files but no data. She cannot log into windows. she's having to work to see everything from command prompt. The dui graphic user interface wont work.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If this is a data recovery/access priority situation and if you can't boot into safe mode, as mrjp says, get the drive attached to another system as a data drive, or use a linux boot disc with an image of Parted Magic written to it and use it's file explorer to access and copy data to a portable drive. If you're familiar with DOS syntax and filepaths, and it is working, and all the data is in just a few places, that will work, otherwise it'll take much longer that way.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Also sounds like the situation might be moving right past normal easy alternates and right to the more in-depth methods employed by GetDataBack, EaseUS Recovery Wizard, and Zero Assumption Recovery, so keep those in mind. It may be time to stop trying to access using DOS or the installed OS, seems to be deteriorating and you might have a limited timeframe for recovery.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks FUNDT, I believe it is at that critical state. I found a few free downloads on Open Source that are like these. One big problem. They all assume one is going to download it to their own harddrive. She cannot do that. I have to download onto a bootable disk to transfer to her unit. I can download it; just won't work because the CD won't boot up her PC. So we're in limbo....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You probably can download whatever you need to a bootable flash drive and use it to boot her computer. Why do you say the CD won't work? You may have to go into the BIOS and change the way the computer boots.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ricklondon View Post
    Thanks FUNDT, I believe it is at that critical state. I found a few free downloads on Open Source that are like these. One big problem. They all assume one is going to download it to their own harddrive. She cannot do that. I have to download onto a bootable disk to transfer to her unit. I can download it; just won't work because the CD won't boot up her PC. So we're in limbo....
    If you are serious about data recovery, go with Spinrite. If it doesn't work, you can get your money back. As mentioned, you will need to set your BIOS to boot from a CD or USB stick you create on another computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast