Lounger
    Thanks

Transferring email from Outlook to Google mail

A few months ago, I read a piece in Windows Secret by Woody Leonhard about transitioning from Outlook to Google mail. I thought about it, but decided to stay with my Outlook program, since I had a comfort level with it.

BUT....

I was just informed this morning that my Internet service provider (ISP) was in the process of terminating their support of all of their customer's accounts that were Outlook-identified, due, they said, to the fact that Outlook is an obsolete program (read: crappy, I surmised).
    This may not happen for a short while (a week or two, I guess), but the writing is on the wall for me: I will need to set up an alternate email account.

I already have a couple of Yahoo email accounts, as well as a Gmail account - - but my question is this:

As I recall from the Woody article, I would basically be continuing to keep my Outlook account, the only difference is that the incoming email would just be redirected to the new Google account.
    Is my understanding correct? Is incoming email to my ISP server redirected OR is the incoming email copied from the server after the server receives it?

Would appreciate input from any of you who understand this process better than me (probably a large number of you).

Thanks
    There is a difference between using Outlook (the program) to access your email, and having an Outlook (outlook.com) email account.

If you have an outlook email account, you simply go to the outlook.com website and access your email. The only program you need is a web browser. I am guessing that you use a web browser to access your Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

However, if Outlook is your email program, you are using it to access your email account which is hosted or provided by some company, likely your ISP. I would guess that this is your case.

If your ISP is terminating support of Outlook, your ISP sounds like a micky-mouse operation; you should probably look for another ISP. Much of the world uses Outlook to access their email. And Microsoft keeps updating their software, so it is in no way obsolete.

I personally use Thunderbird for my email. It is my email program, not my email service. I have created three profiles in Thunderbird for each of my three email accounts which allow me to use an email program (as opposed to a web browser) to access my email. Two of them are "pop3", and one of them is "imap".

However, until a few months ago, I used Outlook for the same three email accounts. I used it for a very long time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Your Outlook is just an email client that you can use to read email from accounts provided by different email providers. Right now, you are using Outlook to read email from an account provided by ISP. I don't really see understand the reason for the ISP stopping to provide the service, at least if it is related to you using Outlook. Outlook is not outdated, it is still my preferred email client and there is a version released this year.

Anyway, you have many alternatives regarding replacing your ISP as your email provider. Of course, gmail is one option, which you can easily integrate with Outlook, but you can also get an account from outlook.com, which is provided by Microsoft. Depending on your version of Outlook, it can even be easier to use an outlook.com account with outlook, than using gmail account. In either case, however, email will be maintained at the servers from your provider and Outlook will just connect to those servers and read your received email and send your sent email through those servers, as well.

Either way, you will have to create a new account, which means you will need to get a new email address, if I understood your situation correctly. If I didn't, please provide more information about your current situation.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    There is a difference between using Outlook (the program) to access your email, and having an Outlook (outlook.com) email account.

If you have an outlook email account, you simply go to the outlook.com website and access your email. The only program you need is a web browser. I am guessing that you use a web browser to access your Yahoo and Gmail accounts.

However, if Outlook is your email program, you are using it to access your email account which is hosted or provided by some company, likely your ISP. I would guess that this is your case.

If your ISP is terminating support of Outlook, your ISP sounds like a micky-mouse operation; you should probably look for another ISP. Much of the world uses Outlook to access their email. And Microsoft keeps updating their software, so it is in no way obsolete.

I personally use Thunderbird for my email. It is my email program, not my email service. I have created three profiles in Thunderbird for each of my three email accounts which allow me to use an email program (as opposed to a web browser) to access my email. Two of them are "pop3", and one of them is "imap".

However, until a few months ago, I used Outlook for the same three email accounts. I used it for a very long time.
    Yes, this is the case (bold above).

Since I posted my OP, I have had further discussions with my ISP (yes, it is a mickey-mouse outfit), to the effect that I received further clarification: they will be accepting no NEW Outlook-based email accounts, but not likely to pull the rug out from existing accounts. So I have some breathing room before needing to take action to set up a new account, if I do at all.
    Thanks for the information.

I personally use Thunderbird for my email. It is my email program, not my email service.
    Is your Thunderbird email program accessed via a web browser, such as Mozilla, in the same way as I access my Yahoo or gmail accounts (through gmail)?

Thanks
    I wonder how they know that you are using Outlook as opposed to some other program.

If they balk at your using Outlook to access your email, they're probably going entirely to webmail or some cloud-based email access. In other words, they are probably eliminating accessing your email via traditional email programs. (That would be my guess.)

Thunderbird is a program that you install on your computer. You then set it up to access your email account. It has nothing to do with browsing the web.

If you are currently able to access your email account via Outlook, then you should have no problem accessing it via Thunderbird. That is, if you are using pop3 or imap. However, if you are using Microsoft Exchange to access your email (which I doubt very seriously), that won't work with Thunderbird.

If you decide to use Thunderbird, you can download it for free here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/. You might want to ask your ISP if Thunderbird is ok to use with their system.

If you do make the switch to Thunderbird, make sure you first tell Outlook to stop checking your email before you tell Thunderbird to start checking your email.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-07-25 at 15:29.