Lounger
    Thanks

Annoying error message with Acrobat 9.5.5 Pro Extended

For some time now I have been getting annoying pop-up error messages, when using Acrobat 9.5.5. Pro Extended, saying "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk3\DR3" with three buttons: Cancel/Try again/Continue. Like this:
    Capture.JPG
    No matter which button I click, the same message keeps reappearing, until after clicking several times it goes away - most annoying!
    In fact "Disk 3" is a USB port on a USB hub, with no media attached to it. It is listed in Computer Management (Windows 7) as a removable disk.
    I have tried to get an answer to this problem, by going to the Adobe site and consulting the User Forums. The "solutions" range from re-installing the software (done that several times), to reducing the File History to 1 file (done that!), to renaming the offending drive (done that!), to disabling the offending drive - but that seems to be a fairly stupid thing to do, as I will certainly need it at some time in the future.
    Any help Loungers can give me on this - I would be eternally grateful.
    Paul
    Windows 7 Professional

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think this may relate to Disk 2 (because they start at 0). Which drive letter is assigned to that?

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I think it is definitely Disk 3 - the drive letter is I (it was clearly part of a hub, with other drive letters G, H and J), and it had some kind of description as "Picture/D USB" (whatever that means!). I have now disabled it, and it seems to have solved the problem, but it leaves me with one USB port short.
    Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just googled "Picture/D USB". It is apparently an app which saves pictures. I assume it is a part of {Acrobat 9.5.5 Pro Extended} and is trying to save a picture to the USB drive which is not presently home and/or taking calls right now.
    You could cancel the error by installing the USB drive, cancelling the picture or examening the {A9.5.5pro} and disable the pix capture part.
    This is assumption and guess ! It may not work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    I just googled "Picture/D USB". It is apparently an app which saves pictures.
    Got a link?

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, no particular link but I suspect that when you loaded the Acrobat 9.5.5 pro, there was a check box to load/not a Hitchiker app for saving pictures. If you uninstall/reinstall it, look for a Hitch-hiker Sw ck box.
    It is a hunch based on past experience.
    Try this: reenable the USB port. Next time the error comes up install a blank memory stik and hit retry. Then examine the stick for a picture file. remove/install Adobe...pro and look for a ckbox HHsw.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, no particular site but just a hunch.
    I suspect that wjen you downloaded Adobe... there was a checkbox for a Hitch-hiker app.
    try this :reenable the USB port. when you get the error insert a blank usb memstik and hit retry. Examine the memstik for a pixfile.
    un/re install adobe..... look for a checkbox.
    Or open control panel and look for a picture saver app you don't recognize.
    when the error comes up rt click it and look at properties. look for that in control panel: uninstall programs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is apparent that Google did not fuel your hunch about a picture saving app then.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried what i suggested?
    1. re enable the USB port.
    2 wait for the error to come up.
    3.put in a blank USB stick.
    4 hit retry.
    5. see what got saved.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have certainly not allowed a "Hitchhiker" app to be installed along with Acrobat. And in the list of installed software in Control Panel there are no programs that I do not recognise.
    I cannot see any way to re-enable the USB port; but in any case, it does not seem necessary, because when I insert a USB thumb drive in any of my free USB ports, it is recognised and given the letter I. Yet, using Windows Computer Management program, this pareticular drive (assigned letter I) does not appear in the list of drives, even when I insert the thumb drive in the USB port and get Computer Management to re-scan the drives. Very curious!
    Anyway, my original problem seems to have disappeared, and I do NOT seem to be short of a USB port after all.

Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I love those self healing problems. Just another of life's mysteries. Part of making your life easier?