Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Security Essentials update hangs

This is an XP SP3 system. After being prompted, I ran the Windows most recent Windows update which included an update to Microsoft Security Essential (KB2855265). I was surprised to see it prompt me as if this was a new installation, but I accepted the user agreement and it started installing. A half hour later, it was still working (and the task list showed it running).

I temporarily disabled my Comodo Firewall to see if that would make a difference (although the firewall had not popped any warnings) and it did not. The firewall has been in place for about two months and I have not seen any other problems from earlier windows updates. I tried doing a restart from task manager and an Alt-F4 from the Desktop, which pretty much seemed to hang up everything. Finally, I did a hard shut down with the power button.

The system came back up with everything normal except the WSE icon in the notification area was red. I started to do some internet searching into this problem when, either without doing anything or possibly doing something accidentally, the system did a standard restart and came back up again. However, this time I got a message saying that "msseces" was missing a component and it appears that MSE is not running at all (no msseces or msmpeng on the task list).

MSE still appears on the "Add or Remove" list, but before I try to uninstall it:
    • Are there any specific recommendations about what has caused this problem?
    • If Comodo is causing the problem, is simply disabling it temporarily all that is needed?
    • Would it make sense to install MSE in Safe Mode?

Thanks for any input!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try the steps, including a Microsoft fixit to remove MSE registry keys, here: Error: 0x80070645 appears when you try to upgrade Microsoft Security Essentials

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'm almost done. But before I actually run the MSE installer, should I disable the Comodo Firewall? I would prefer not to experiment in this particular situation...!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't think it will make any difference.

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

imjcarls (2013-07-25)