New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy "Downgrading" from Windows 8 to Windows 7

I am using a new laptop which came with Windows 8, which I HATE. I'm seriously considering purchasing Windows 7 to replace it but I'm wondering whether I can buy the "Upgrade to Windows 7" version or do I need the "complete Windows 7" version. I now these aren't the precise names but it's how I think of them. I'd appreciate any advice on this process.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Install StartIsBack for $3 and pretend it's Windows 7. Windows 8 has several advantages, even if you avoid the interface formerly known as metro like the plague.

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-07-25)

Thanks
    Many, if not all, OEM builders allow Windows 7 licensing/installations instead of the default W8 (under Downgrade rights), this is especially obvious when you look at their business class offerings. Windows support responsibilities would also remain with them.

Your first port of call should therefore be with the maker, they may, for a small fee - sometimes only p&p, supply you with a W7 disc.

If you want, or are forced, to go it alone - back to the maker's support site and check that all hardware drivers for it are also available for download before you begin. Sometimes there will be specific, newer, hardware that doesn't have W7 drivers.

Full Retail W7 versions are best (but very hard to find now), allowing license transfer to subsequent replacement hardware/computers; the Small Builder (OEM) full version will work but may be technically/legally the wrong version to use and is not transferable. Upgrade versions are not usable unless you have an unused Windows license and key for the applicable older version.

That's my rough take, licensing is quite hard to figure out with 100% accuracy, especially where OEM (not Microsoft) Windows licences are concerned.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

northwood2222 (2013-07-26)

Thanks
    Classic Shell is free....I highly recommend keeping 8 and using a 3rd party software, free or paid, to give you the look and feel of Windows 7 but with all of the speed and efficiency of Windows 8. I personally use Start8 from Stardock.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Thanks
    I would make a full blown restorable image of the entire drive (from factory default Windows 8),
    then CLEAN install whatever flavor of Windows 7 you want on it.
    This way, when you go to sell/give away the laptop in a few years, you can revert back to Windows 8 and keep the W7 you purchased
    for use on another computer.

That is of course, if you cannot get a downgrade option from the manufacture you purchased it from.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-07-26 at 01:27. Reason: omission
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Install StartIsBack for $3 and pretend it's Windows 7. Windows 8 has several advantages, even if you avoid the interface formerly known as metro like the plague.

Bruce
    This would absolutely be the cheapest and easiest way to get to "Windows 7". You can use StartIsBack for free for 90 days, and installing it is effortless.

I'm guessing that if you do that, you will no longer hate Windows 8, because you will have installed the one thing that Microsoft left out of Windows 8.

In my opinion.

Thanks
    This would absolutely be the cheapest and easiest way to get to "Windows 7".
    Actually, the cheapest way is installing the free Classic shell.

I do agree that $3 is a trivial cost though. If Start is Back had a feature I wanted that wasn't in Classic Shell, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Jerry

Thanks
    I also use both Start8 from Stardock on my PC and Classic Shell on my wife's PC. Both look and feel exactly like Win 7, except they are faster, more stable and more secure on my PCs. YMMV!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy