Thanks

W 7 64 bit

How much ram does W 7 64 bit require?
    Thanks,
    Phil,

Thanks
    Hi Phil,

My rough take on it:

The exact amount depends on how much RAM there is fitted, hardware and drivers installed, auto-starting software. Due mainly to the complexity of x64 drivers, it's around 20% more than the 32-bit equivalent.

My moderately loaded PC with recent hardware, 8GB RAM, uses about 1GB after bootup; with some (pretty heavy) pruning, I could probably reduce that by ~200MB.

If the computer has less than ~3GB fitted, or cannot accept 4GB, I see no point in installing x64 under normal circumstances. 3-4GB would be my suggested real-world minimum.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    satrow thanks for the info I have 3.49 GB usable out of 4.00 GB so I sould be within the peramiters yes? Thanks again.
    Phil.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    satrow thanks for the info I have 3.49 GB usable out of 4.00 GB so I sould be within the peramiters yes? Thanks again.
    Phil.
    You should be ok. It's possible that you will get a bit more of usable RAM, possibly around 3.8 GB, so you won't gain much from going 64 bit, but you may gain something .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

Thanks
    Yes Phil, you should have the full (or very close to it, depending mostly on BIOS and hardware) ~3.9GB usable - if you have an add-in graphics card - some CPU-based graphics chips, like most of Intel's, use an amount of System RAM, allocated, and usually configurable, in the BIOS for the graphics to use.

Further caveats: You cannot upgrade a 32bit system to a 64bit, you must do a full install. Also check with the motherboard/notebook maker's support site that there are x64 drivers available - with older hardware, it may not be. You may need to replace any USB WiFi device - older one's with Vista-based x64 drivers are likely to be problematic for a % of W7x64 users.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to you both I am actually doing this on my desk top so maybe I will go out and get some more Ram and I am going to do a custom install from 32 bit W 7 so any more info you two have or advice you would kindly give would be much appreciated. Thanks again to both you guys.
    Phil.

Thanks
    If you posted full details of your current hardware, it would be easier for us to create more specific responses and to have a reference base for any software/driver queries you may have at a later stage.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I know just enough to be dangerous in other words if I knew more I would offer it up I dont know much thats why I ask questions on this forum for me its kind of like feeling my way through a dark room thats why I always appreciate any help I can get. Thanks again.
    Phil

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYPHIL View Post
    Unfortunately I know just enough to be dangerous in other words if I knew more I would offer it up I dont know much thats why I ask questions on this forum for me its kind of like feeling my way through a dark room thats why I always appreciate any help I can get.
    Phil,
    Hello... One other thing to consider.. I also "Upgraded" my 7 \ 64's RAM from 4GB to 8GB ... doing this you may not see much of a difference in performance ...however you can now remove (adjust \ set to 0) the "Page File" and just use the increased RAM as a "kinda default paging file"...this saves your CPU from hitting the Systems HD as often. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26),paranoia (2013-08-01)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Fred interesting thought.

Thanks
    We have 2 laptops, both Vaio by Sony. Both are almost identical, but mine has been upgraded to 8 Gb Ram (her PC has 4 Gb). I notice slight increases in the app load speeds when multitasking with the 2 systems. I however did not get the increases I was expecting. However, at the cost of Ram these days, you will not have to spend large amounts of capital to increase your Ram.

Each PC is unique, so you might see more increases than others. I guess it depends on how often you are multitasking with your PC. If you just use your PC for one or two tasks at a time, you will not see a big change. Of course as Fred suggests, the extra Ram can be utilized by the system in the place of a paging file. I personally do not do this so have no experience on the gain this might give you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do NOT just blindly set your pagefile size to 0. See The Windows 7 Pagefile And Running Without One and The Page File, SuperFetch, and ReadyBoost.

While you may run just fine without a pagefile then again you may not. Read & understand the articles. Make an informed decision. The vast majority of regular users will not notice any performance difference between running with a pagefile or running without a pagefile.

Joe

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would say Ted's experience may be very relevant to you. Above 4 GB, you will benefit from more RAM if you regularly multitask, running multiple apps. If not, there won't be that big an advantage from the extra RAM.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-26)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again to all you guys for your input much appreciated. I dont do much multitasking just use my computer for e mailing and pretty simple stuff as Ted suggests though at the price of RAM it cant hurt to add some. Thanks again to all.

Thanks
    Just make sure you buy matched sets. Don't just add one bigger stick as this mismatch may create more problems for you. In our case we have 2 RAM slots. Each came with 2 GB per slot. When I upgraded my PC I pulled the 2 GB sticks and installed 2 each 4 GB sticks. The OS saw the new RAM and went with it when I rebooted. Also check the specs on your PC to ensure it is capable of more than 4 GB. I would hate to install 8 GB and find out the PC could only utilize 4 GB of the 8 GB.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

COWBOYPHIL (2013-07-27)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast