2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lasky's July 25, 2013 article---'Take control of taskbar-icon proliferation.'

I thought this was an excellent article.

I have a different problem from the ones mentioned. It appears that Windows Customize->Notification Area Icons panel only deals with programs that load when Windows starts or are in the System Configuration->Start up menu.

I have programs, such as 3rd party back up programs that do not load until a designated time, so they have no entry in either of the above. It appears that no matter which of the 3 choices I set in Notification Area Icons, when I reboot the computer these program's setting change to 'Only show notifications', which appears to be the Windows default.

Is there any way to get around this problem, or change Windows so 'Show icons and notifications' is the default? I run Windows 7 Pro SP1.

Thanks,

Harry

Thanks
    You should be able right-click in the system tray and then tell it to "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar". That's the way mine is set.

Then again, I haven't had the problem you have described.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    5 Star Lounger:

That works, but it also makes me display a lot of icons on the task bar that I do not want to see. I want to be able to either just select the ones I want (and not have those selections go away on reboot), or have the Windows default be 'Show icons and notifications', rather than 'Only show notifications', which is what it appears to be.

Harry

Thanks
    Visit Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons, from there, you can control the behaviour of the icons individually.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Super Moderator:

That takes you to the same Notification Area as the suggestion that 5 Star Lounger made. Selecting them individually does not work when the program in question does not load in the Start up menu. See my original post for the details.

Harry

Thanks
    New Lounger:

If you cannot convince your software vendors/developers to register their product(s) with the Notification area then you may need to make the best of what you have when it comes to dealing with this particular Windows feature.

Here's an article on the Notification area that's aimed at software developers, it may be useful to you: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../aa511448.aspx

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Super Moderator:

Thanks for the link. After reading the Microsoft article, I did a little searching and found that my back up program has an option: "Pin to Start Menu." Checking that solved the problem.

Harry