Thanks

Long delay when opening programs

My Computer is:

Emachine T3506
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    Celeron D 3.2GHz 533FSB 512 KB L2 Cache
    120GB HD 111GB available 30GB free
    1.5 GB RAM

When I click a shortcut (desktop or Start menu) to open an app like any MS Office 2003 app, any browser, etc. it takes at least 20 to 30 seconds for the app GUI to appear. When the GUI appears it still takes long for any action clicked to initiate and appear. Clicking a desktop folder opens the folder immediately. I've done online and offline virus scans, malware scans, rootkit scans, etc. all negative. I've deleted the last few programs that I installed. For deleting programs I use Revo followed by RegSeeker to eliminate all registry items. I've tried system restore. I've done a non-destructive reinstall changing the computer from Windows Home to Windows XP Pro to see if that would solve the problem. Also, on this machine, I'm using Outlook Express. OE opens very rapidly but opening an email can take long. Don't need to move up from this XP computer since I've got several machines with OSs up to Windows 8 Pro. But this machine has me stumped. I'm going to try to evaluate the RAM to see if there's a problem. Looking for suggestions as to what to try next.

Thanks
    I would use a program such as CCleaner to disable as many startup items as I can. Keep only the ones you absolutely need.

Here are two more possibilities:

1. Problems with your hard drive -- run some tests on your hard drive to see if problems are indicated. Also, you may have severe fragmentation on your hard drive. Restart into Safe Mode and defrag your hard drive. Run defrag a few times just to make sure.

2. Overheating component, such as a video card -- My wife's computer was running really slow. I tried everything, and I got some improvement, but not much. I then ran speedfan and found that her video card was running extremely hot. I replaced the video card, and the problem disappeared.

Thanks
    Along the lines of Mr Jim's first suggestion, try a clean boot to see if it makes a difference:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    problem solved? Still looking for ideas? These are some of the things that could also be causing your problem. Your swap file is to small, your virus checker can be set to scan files when opening, as someone said 'file fragmentation', start-up apps could be using a large amount of your physical memory, so not much left for apps, soft errors occurring when reading files (so HD has to retry reads), limited CPU cycles (other apps loading down your CPU), etc. Bring up your task manager to see what's going on, what's loading on boot and if you CPU is over worked. I'll assume this has not been a problem from the get-go, so something (hardware or software) is doing a number on your system. Let us know if you have any additional info or if you are good-2-go.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    is your disk too full ?

does it need defragging?

did you compress by mistake instead of defragging? that will slow things down a lot.

running too many antivirus programs?
    got a virus cause you didnt run enough antivirus programs?

have you run all the disk aps to check it
    flag bad sectors , clean it up, defrag it, etc.
    bad sectors can cause delays - eventually a permanent one
    run chkdks scandisk andor anything else ms has these days to pamper your HD