Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to get my full name into username?

I goofed or something. New (refurbished) laptop, going through W8 Setup... got to the part to name my computer and select password. Got one letter entered, and zip, it somehow advanced to the next screen. Okay, I get how I can add password by going to "Settings," but can someone please tell me how to get my full name into the username? Thanks!

Moved this post from the Windows 8 sticky, please create a separate thread.
    Thanks
    CLiNT
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-07-27 at 03:08.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the misplacement. I very much appreciate your telling me, CLiNT.

Thanks
    Gerard,

Since this is a "New" computer if you haven't installed too much stuff or at least installed it for all users the easiest way would b to create a new account then delete the existing account. Make sure the new account is a Administrator account if there are no other admin accounts. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I agree with RG. Changing a user name is far more involved that at first glance it should be. It seems far easier to follow the path RG has outlined. There seem to be so many dependencies with the listed name. Just changing it in the top level will break more than it solves and really create problems for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If the laptop is that new...why not just do a factory reinstall and start all over....re-inputting the correct info. It's what I would do, if it were my laptop.

Thanks
    I wonder if a Reset or Refresh would also work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I wonder if a Reset or Refresh would also work.
    A reset most likely would. Refresh keeps documents and such, so folder structure (includind usernames, part of documents folder, etc) would likely remain unchanged.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks fellas! I do have one issue of concern before I start. This being a refurbished unit, the manufacturer completely wiped my hard drive during the refurbishment process. To quote them:

"This process includes wiping the recovery partition. As such, the ASUS recovery disk creation process no longer works." So, do I need to somehow make a recovery disc before I do a reset, or after,(if even I can) or would I be better to create a new account? I sure did not expect this little surprise.

Thanks
    Gerard,

I'd do 2 things before attempting a refresh:

1. Create a Boot CD/USB key
    2. Image the entire drive using a program like Macrium Reflect Free and also make the boot cd/usb key for Macrium.

Of course if you take the route of just creating a new Admin User account and then deleting the old account these steps should not be necessary, but I would recommend them anyway as they are both good tools to always have on hand! HTH

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    A reset is a process introduced with Windows 8, you need nothing else to do it. I can't be sure that it will work for your purposes, as I haven't tried it. If you do, please let us know if it did what you wanted.

The procedure recommended by Retired Geek (e.g. creating a new admin account) is valid and will achieve the same result.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, thanks a million again. I'll try to create a new Admin account, and then busy myself with the recovery DVD's (unless there's good reason to go USB).

Thanks
    Gerard,

Personally, I prefer the USB keys because they are quicker and over all less trouble. YMMV

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gentlemen,

Status report: Phew!-- what a slow and painful learning process this is. Unforseen obstacles abounded. Talk about Murphy's Law (and Murphy was an optimist!). Nevertheless, I did finally succeed at fixing my name, and as administrator.

But guess what?-- I discovered I could not do a reset, nor create a recovery drive, without a recovery partition. So I had to recreate one. My goodness..., that took a few hours, and I actually thought my computer locked up in the process, but no... saw my hard drive light flickering like crazy.

At last... time to create the recovery drive. Windows tells me I need at least 16 Gigs to do the job. Really?-- What a monster! (Remember when '98 fit onto one CD). Anyway, I take it the USB approach means that I need a greater than 16 Gig flash drive (i.e. 32) to get the job done? Well, at first I thought that I'd just go cheap and go the DVD route. Well, got my first disc stuck and buried inside the laptop. Oh what fun. Finally, carefully coaxed it out. Pressed forward, and it completed the task (supposedly successfully), and that filled the disc to about 300 Megabytes. Apparently, all that succeeded in doing was creating a REPAIR disc. Sound right to you?

I hope this info/experience can be of value to someone else sometime.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Guys, I've been hoping awaiting a response to my question... I guess I should plan on ordering a 32 bit USB drive, and perhaps 3.0 (not 2.0) at that for this purpose (because of advantage of write to drive speed)? Sorry, I do not mean to be hasty, but you know how Amazon is on their deals changing from hour to hour. I am once again, most grateful for your advice. I have to ask because when Windows tells me I need 16 GB, I figure that a 16 GB flash drive is less that 16 GB.

Thanks
    Gerard,

Actually, if you uncheck the option to copy the Recovery Partition the boot portion and tools will fit nicely on a 512Mb USB key. At least the one I just made did. HTH RecoveryDrive.JPG

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast